BethU good luck with your tube insertion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth, your attitude and personality are outstanding! I hope you get better care instructions and that you feel better very very soon.:razz:

You are in my thoughts.

Gory details ... the long version

Wow, thank you all for your support and good cheer .... having now dyed my nice white bedspread berry purple to match the ceiling, I'm feeling much better.

Can't believe how different Dr. H is in his office and in the surgery, He was all smiles today (he smiled again), and said Paul and I were his favorite couple (he didn't say couple of what), and did a full-blown demonstration of how to do the feeding, etc, and ordered home nursing. My Bipap will be Monday, and my niece is coming to supervise that, too.

Dr. H also pointed out that I have an odd-shaped body, but that it didn't make me a bad person. (There's a sense of humor under there ... I guess if you're going to look at people's colons all day, you need one.) If I could speak, I would have replied, "Thank you for pointing that out. I notice that you're going bald, but that doesn't make you a bad surgeon. I hope."

Anyway ... it was out-patient, scheduled for 9:30 a.m. (and it started at 9:30 !) and I was home at noon.

He said normally they just do a local anesthesia, but he had an anesthesiologist, and they wanted to have me under and out FAST, because of ALS and heart disease and age. And odd-shaped body.

Everything went well (except not much explanation of how to manage it), and I had several successful feedings at home (I've been saving the berry Ensure for the tube, as I hate it), until Paul and I managed to create this lovely purple fountain when we accidently pulled the tube from the feeder tube last night and sprayed the bedroom.

Which was OK ... no damage to the tube ... but it was followed by some memorable pain at the incision for about a half hour, and I was sure we'd damaged the implant. We were about to call 911, but the pain went down to a tolerable level, and Tylenol took care of it. I hadn't been prepared for that.

As far as decorating the tube ... it's a challenge. I had thought it would be fun to have one coming out of my back, too ... like Steve Martin with the arrow through his head, but I think I'll have to work on the idea a bit more.

Sharonca had her tube put in in December, and also mentioned pain afterwards, which I think she said she wasn't expecting. Mine has not been bad except for that one period.

And it is really time for a new bedspread anyway, so no loss there. All's well that end's well. :razz:

Beth - I was awake for my peg (no anesthesia for me, oh no). I didn't get much instruction either and managed to blow stomach stuff all over me the first time. But I did get a week of home health aide and a nurse twice. Only use mine for flushing - not feeding. Took about two weeks and then I was feeling fine. Rest and get hydrated!

Sharonca

Beth,
Give me the word, and I'd be tickled to fly out and take care of you! But trust me, you won't get any of the tying down treatment!:razz::shock::razz:
So glad you're home, can't wait to hear more,
Seriously, if you need help, let me know,
hugs,
brenda

Beth - Thanks for posting your "PEG experiences". Very informative about what to look for and ask questions about plus you made me laugh out loud. Will be going throught his with my husband (PALS) in the near future. I will look out for the Berry Fountain ;)

Thanks again & Hope you feel much better soon,
Lisa

Hi Beth,
So glad that the surgery went well for you. I know you and your hubby will get use to the tube quickly. We also had the fire hose scenario...a few moments of stress. Wow..it can really make a mess. Did you get a g-tube holder? Our ALs center made a little cloth pocket that is tied around your neck with a pretty ribbon. They even gave us a pattern to make our own. I am trying to figure out when I can take up sewing..hee hee! Anyways...thinking of you! Kelly

Hugs and prayers from us too, Beth. Hope to hear from you soon to tell us all is well!
Marjorie and Rick

Beth,

Happy to here everything is better, and you still have your sense of humor.

I agree with Rose that berry can be a pleasant color and contrast to several different colors of carpet. Hope it compliments yours!

Beth, here's hoping you are taking it easy for a while and getting all of the support you need!

Dear, Dear F***U,
Cheers to the only person who can not only have a peg tube surgically inserted, awaken to realize you've been tied down and alienally-probed while under the influence, be in pain, and yet STILL come out laughing. YOU ARE AWESOME! :)

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time flat, and then be feeling so much better from having much more hydration and nutrition!

Take care today,
Suzann

Bless you all ... your messages and good cheer really make a difference!

Additional warnings: They don't tell you that they also implant about 1,000 cubic feet of air in your stomach. And what goes in must come out. Nuff said.

Also: The tube belches as it delivers your feeding. And I'm not talking teeny little burps here ... I mean B*E*L*C*H*E*S

But: The hydration alone is soooooooooo worth it.

A little pocket to carry the tube sounds like a great idea. Have to check with ALSA.

Thanks, everyone!

I'm glad you're back on you feet, with your sense of humor intact.

Take care,

Robert

Beth, I went back and read your post describing your visit with the doctor and how having an odd shaped body didn't make you a bad person and what not.

You made me laugh and brightened my evening. You are the queen of humor in my book! Thanks!

Kim

Oh Beth, your comments are precious, especially about getting a tube in the back to match, like Steve Martin with the arrow through his head.

Have you heard the little ditty that goes, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." I hope and pray you feel like a nut more and more every day, because we love you and need your sense of humor.

I am sure it isn't all smiles and laughter, but you have great care and comfort surrounding you. You are an inspiration to us all. Bless you!

Marjorie and Rick

Checking to see

Hi Beth,
Just checking in to see how the procedure went. You are always so helpful; I'm sure you'll find a way to make this too help others going through it.
All the best,
Erica/perplexed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back