01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
Hello,

I'm having a great deal of trouble using my cellphone these days. Not only is it hard to pick up, and hang on to, but texting is getting more difficult.

Any suggestions on a cell phone that is easier to handle/use than an android? Any tips or tricks you wish to share?

Thank you very much,
Carolsue

Hi Carolsue. My husband Dave is having the same problem (iPhone 7 - large one). Is your Android a larger variety? While I have no info about a specific phone, are you able to self stretch your fingers or have someone else do it? I just got my husband a resting night splint for his dominant right hand. This type of splint does not keep the fingers fully extended, but rather with a "functional" bend in the finger joints (interphalangeal joints). I also encourage him to drag his hands upwards from the knee & then press down on his palms to stretch out the fingers several times per day since he cannot actively extend them. This seems to have improved the use of his hands and fingers somewhat for now.

I am thinking that maybe a rubbery or gummy textured case may afford you better grip on the phone? Are you a one finger texter or do you hold the phone with both hands and text with both thumbs?

I hope you get some constructive advice to this question as I would be interested as well.

Buckhorn,

I have a galaxy S6 and I'm a one finger texter. I started using the Oval 8 splints which helps with the actual typing....but I don't always wear them. I should have thought about a rubbery cover, I will get one.

Thanks,
CarolSue

Just a reminder that using Google Hangouts + Google Voice on your tablet, laptop or desktop, you can make and receive calls from your cell phone number. And of course, each of these can be operated by voice, including composing texts. You can use a smart cover to keep your phone/tablet upright at an angle if you are at a desk or table or have a tray on your chair, in addition to mounts.

You can also put your phone in a holster or pocket if you are on the go, and clip on a Bluetooth earpiece.

I have ordered something from amazon called a popsocket. It attaches to the back of a phone or tablet and can be used as a stand as well as to hold it. I have not received it but the concept looked like it might be helpful

I text from my tablet but when I am tired I use the voice application. If your voice is ok second the recommendation to try that

Last edited:
My dad carries his phone on a clip around his neck. That way he can never drop it. But dexterity of the fingers is something he struggles with still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back