Diagnosis
02/2021
Country
US
State
NY
City
Waterloo
I've been trying to find my father a mattress or a mattress topper for him to remain comfortable. He's in a hospital bed, and hates the air mattress that hospice gave him. My mother got him a memory foam mattress which he liked for a while. Now, as he's getting further into his final stages, he's awake every 40 minutes and is exhausted from no sleep and always being uncomfortable. I read that a ROHO mattress topper was a great option for someone with ALS. I bought him one and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I just was hoping someone here could give insight to this choice, and if they have any other suggestions?

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's progression, Jessica. Beyond the bed, let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Some PALS do well with air cell type mattresses/overlays like the ROHO, but others do not. From what we've seen here, most may fall into the second category. They may do better with latex overlays, which come in several firmness levels, for more support than polyurethane foam can provide. Like the wheelchair cushion, you want him to be a little bit "in the bed" and not just "on the bed," but transfers have to be possible, too.

The best mattress and/or topper kind of depends on why he's not comfortable in what he's got. Is he sinking too far in, does it feel too stiff? Is he hot or cold? Also, past the mattress/overlay, a lot of PALS need additional foam support for their elbows, forearms, shoulders, knees, and/or heels, because as they lose fat and muscle, pressure points become more troublesome. If you can figure out where he is feeling pain and from what source (pain can radiate, of course), you can stabilize and protect those joints. Pressure boots, travel pillows, foam blocks and shaped foam can all help. Latex and cheaper foams have different properties so there are many options.

Changing the angle of the head and legs may help as well.

Best,
Laurie

i am using open cell foam 40 kg/square meter soft. i am convienced whit this. i had the same problem.

My answhere yesterday was a litle bit short. i had also problems to usee a matress and tried several once.
At the end i using open cell foam density 40kg/m2 . I used it as topper.
The ticknes should be not more than 2 inches, otherwise you can not turn on a side. i am very satisfied with this and use it allready one year.
Jud.

My husband absolutely did not like the ROHO mattress overlay. It was very hard and uncomfortable for him. The best overlay that we found is from latex mattress overlay, or Sleeponlatex.com, I believe. It's like a cloud and my husband loves it. With the ROHO, my husband was waking up every hour.

My Chris loved the alternating air mattress. He found the ROHO mattress did not work for him, and was really hot as well.
Yet the ROHO cushion was critical for him to sit on and he found it brilliant.
This is why it is great to discuss, some people swear something is superior, but in reality it really varies and sometimes you have to try several things to figure your own best fit out.

My Darcey loved the alternating low pressure air mattress. Prior to that, she would wake every hour to hour and a half, wake me and ask to be turned to her other side. And she wasn't comfortable on her back in the standard hospital bed. The very night that I swapped the standard mattress for the above air mattress, she slept through the night. And for the next roughly 5 years, she slept well most every night... slept on her back... and woke feeling rested and well the very next morning. When her first one looked to be failing, we did not hesitate to immediately purchase another.

My best...

Jim

In my yesterday mail i mentiond the density is 40kg/square meter , this was wrong the density is 40kg/ kubiek meter.
I have ALS for 18 months and the topper is stil okay.

Same here Jim, we had a terrible time of Chris being up and down all night long, bed to chair to lounge to bed. Then when he couldn't walk safely at night he would lay in a recliner and moan on and off all night.
The alternating air mattress was a life changer for him and us.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. He has no muscle left on his body and his back is the only position that he finds comfortable. His bed he keeps the head inclined and his feet only slightly inclined. He says that every mattress has been to hard for him. I will have to figure out how to afford a latex mattress topper. I donated the ROHO mattress topper to the local ALS foundation. Foam had not been something he likes. It's usual too hard for him. At this point he and I have been worried about bed sores. He hates the air mattress, which alternated pressure, said it was too hard and could feel everything. So, maybe the latex.
My father won't be getting to the point that he needs to be turned, or lifted from bed. Unfortunately, he chose not to get a feeding tube, or tracheotomy (which he only had a month to decide if he wanted, before it was no longer an option). His diaphragm is very weak, and he is only skin and bones at this point. I know most have a different progression from what I've read, but he was diagnosed very late in the diseases progression. He was given a maximum of a year.
I just want to see him comfortable, but money has become a factor now that I left my job to help my parents. Does anyone know how much the latex mattress topper is, or if I can find one for free anywhere?

I sleep on a medical grade sheepskin, it's great as long as there is no wrinkles in my pj's or sheet

Is he on BiPAP, Jessica? That is not a trach but would help rest his muscles and help him breathe comfortably, if he does not have it. If he does and it is not working well, I can help you adjust his settings -- let me know.

I am talking about a soft latex topper, esp. if he is not turned or lifted. Look on Amazon for

Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft

It comes in different heights and lengths depending on bed size (some are not in stock on Amazon but are at the mfr web site, Sleep on Latex). Since he is thin, 3" would be best.

This might sound odd, but the only way my husband was comfortable was on an low density air matress with no sheets and no clothes. (recommended by the manufacturer). His head was at a 60 degree angle and his feet were slightly inclined.

I just bought a Geo Ultramax mattress and and a 1" medium foam latex topper that seems to be working great for me. Here's a link from the manufacturer...
(commercial link removed, apologies- per forum posting rules)

Last edited by a moderator:
@NickV - Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, the Moderators have to remove commercial links as, otherwise, it has gotten out of hand. You can, however, give enough information that someone can do a Google search and find places to purchase it. One never knows when what works for you might work for someone else. So again, THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR SUCCESS!!

My best...

Jim

Yes he's got a trilogy machine, which I guess is similar to a bipap, his respiratory therapist said a trilogy was better than a bipap machine for neuromuscular diseases. He uses it very often. Ironically, he says that smoking Marijuana helps him breath... I think this is because it helps him relax, so he can breath deeper, and not the short and fast respirations. He also has a cough assist machine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back