05/2015
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Barrie
Hello all,

forgive me for being a little lazy on this one...what are the best or most recommended treatments out there? I realize that cannabis, tudca b12 are covered although is there anything I am missing?

There are lots of opinions on various alternative treatments and I've found that what seems to work for one PALS is ineffective for another. This has been very frustrating for me.

Opinions on supplements differ, for example. Wikipedia has a whole list of "supplements for ALS" and I do take some of them. Quite a few people believe anything anti-inflammatory can't be bad and might possibly help. There are several anti-inflammatory diets out there and their common thread seems to be lots of fresh organic fruit and veggies, good oils (krill, fish, other Omega 3, and MCT or coconut oil, avocado, etc.). Some people with MS seem to thrive on the ketogenic diet.

One of the things I did was to address any non-ALS related issues, or indirectly related ALS issues and correct them, if possible. I had too much free copper and corrected with Zinc (this doesn't work for everyone), my iron level was extremely low so I supplemented with iron. My thyroid was underactive so I used iodine and that corrected after only one month. I had vitamin and mineral analysis, along with a gut bacteria analysis. After that I started taking a probiotic. Giving up processed food and sugar helped me. I eat tons of fresh fruit so I don't miss the sugar.

At the last support group someone got total relief from constant pain through acupuncture. That's on my list.

I wish there were a standard protocol that worked for all of us.

N-Ac (N-Acetylcysteine) was recommended to me. It's used to protect soldiers' brains after blast induced brain shear and is considered neuroprotective in large doses. I take 4x the dose recommended on the bottle- as told to by my doctor. I also take Ubiquinol (CoQ10) and LDN (low dose naltrexone, 2mg). I cycle through other vitamins, but these three are my steadies.

The best I've found is a high calorie (1.5x maintenance calories) high carb diet. ALSTDI has an article on this and states this keeps you going longer. I know you are into all of that healthy stuff, but carbs seem to be the best supplement. Want more scary news, a BMI between 30-35 is the sweet spot as far as longevity goes. Throw out the supplements and buy Fudgeos.

Vincent

I think I'm going to subscribe to Vincent's Fudgeo theory. I am going to add ice cream too. Well, at least until the weather turns cold. Lol.

Angie

I learned a lot from Dave and his protocol was what got me into investigative mode two years ago.

Highly recommending carbs, calories, and "herbal" therapy based on my husbands experience.

I am into massage weekly, acupuncture weekly, tumuric daily (2 caps) mm daily, and Fudgeos if I could find them.
Just started mixing concentrated broccoli sprouts blended in my lunisin shake, let ya all know how that goes in a few weeks.
Most homeopath and standard medicine " cure" over whelmed me. A positive attitude is very beneficial but not easy to maintain.
Love ya
Chally

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Tried Lunasin although didn't notice a difference although the idea of calories is a very good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back