Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
Quite awhile back, our dear Max started a thread about some of the best adaptive equipment and gadgets. Since technology has changed in the last 18 months or so, I thought it might be a good idea to revive the thread. We have several gadgets that have really made our lives easier and they include:

• a bidet--simply terrific
  • a toilet elevator --it is a base that fits on the base of the toilet and raises it 4 inches. It's perfect because it gives my hubby (PALS) the extra height to make it easier to transfer but doesn't interfere with the bidet
  • an amazon ECHO that allows verbal control of all kinds of things!
  • a video baby monitor!!!! A godsend that allows me to be in a different room and still see him, talk to him and hear any noises he makes. It also has an app that I have on the iphone so that I can check in. Especially useful when he was able to be alone for a bit.
  • a wireless doorbell that he can ring when he is done in the bathroom or needs one of our girls who are in a different room.
  • a handle that fits in the car door latch that helps with transfers

What do you find is most helpful??

I agree the baby monitor is a godsend. It was so useful and gave such peace of mind. I wish we had got it sooner.

The doorbell is a wonderful cheap tool, we had one with 100m range so I could go a little way outside gardening even.

Toilet raiser was also wonderful for us, wish we could have afforded a bidet!

My baby monitor was only sound, but it made a huge difference at night! (Chris was in the lounge room which was set up for him in a hospital bed)

A food warming bowel became really important as meals were so slow his dinner could stay hot.

Non-slip socks. Chris reached a point when he was still mobile with a walker, but he couldn't walk with shoes or even slippers on. That tiny bit of weight stopped him being able to lift his legs at all. So the socks with the non-slip bits on the underneath were perfect. His feet could stay warm, and he could shuffle along safely. When he sat back down I would put his slippers back on.

Chris had an iPad, so having an apple tv so we could display it on the tv screen while he used a jelly bean switch made all the difference as he had a good big view and could sit with his head supported in his recliner chair. (most new smart tv's now have the capability built into them to connect your iPad or tablet, but my old tv doesn't)
Because the tv is hooked to the stereo, he could play music from his iPad through the stereo, and choose his music himself. This was a big one as he couldn't always do a lot with the iPad (FTD), but he could play music and look at photos.

Last edited:
I've wondered about n ECHO what all do you use it for, Cody?
My favorite adaptive device is the head pointer attached to my hat that I can use on my i iPad

Oh Dear Tillie, I am cracking up in laughter over here, please tell me you meant to type a food warming bowl??? bwahahaha, food warming bowel!

Oh Dear Tillie, I am cracking up in laughter over here, please tell me you meant to type a food warming bowl??? bwahahaha, food warming bowel!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I nearly lost a mouthful of tea over the keyboard Jenny!

Yeah the mental picture was pretty interesting!

What's the problem? I have a food warming bowel! ;^)

Hardwood or solid flooring. Steve caught his toes in carpet.

Handheld shower head

Roll under sink so he could perform as many hygiene duties as he wanted to

A moisturing body wash to help with dry skin. Dove 's men was a favorite

Battery/rechargeable toothbrush and water flosser. Made oral hygiene much easier

Electric razor. I didnt fear cutting him when I shaved him

Extra roho cushion cover for when one was in the wash

Large handled silverware to diminish hand cramps when eating.(these were heavy had to find a lighter version)

Mattress topper and wedges. Relieved a lot of back,neck,and shoulder pain. Later hip pain.

Last edited:
PILLOWS

Of every shape and size imaginable ...

You can never have enough in number or variety for a PALS.

Whenever a configuration of pillows for any situation changed, having a room full of them meant you could create a new configuration!

We love the ECHO. We have several lights connected to it so my PALS can verbally turn them on and off. We also have the thermostat connected--my PALS has alot of issues with temperature regulation. I am planning to connect a fan to ECHO this weekend. Basically anything that can turn on/off can be connected to ECHO. He can also verbally ask the ECHO to play his choice of music, report the news, give traffic updates, make a call and he loves to play jeopardy on it!! It is pretty much like a iphone but completely hands free and, at $179, cheaper than an Iphone.

This is a very small thing but for anyone who uses lip balm and has weak hands, eos product is chunky and egg shaped, easier to open and apply.
A friend made foot pillows out of memory foam for my wheelchair. So much more comfortable!

Ableware Universal Built-Up Handle for silverware - If you search on amazon it should come up.. Helps my wife out alot when she is eating, she has problems gripping small things. This is similar to the large handled silverware that was already recommended, but cheaper. Came in a pack of 4 and I can place over our existing silverware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back