CALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
St. Paul
Hello everyone!

While trying to find high-calorie, easy to eat recipes for my mom (who decided not to get a PEG), I came across Benecalorie. It's a supplement that you mix in with food or drink as a boost of calories. I can only find one post on the site that has mentioned it.

Has anyone ever tried this? Good luck or bad luck? My mom is already quite thin, and consequently is uncomfortable even in her chair with the tilt and recline. She says that nothing tastes good and she's not eating much at all. As her caregiver, I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can.

Thanks!

I've never tried it but from what I read 330 calories per 1.5 oz serving certainly would be worth trying. And you can get it at Walgreen's so you can be pretty sure you're not getting ripped off on the price.
AL.

If your mom likes milkshakes, we found that this was a great way to get extra nutrition into my dad at the point he could neither eat solid food nor straight liquids. They were the right consistency for him to get down with his impaired swallowing, tasted good, and we could blend in protein powders, fruit, and (dare I say it- prunes to keep him more regular). The ice cream itself had much needed calories and protein as well. We also used Ensure, a nutritional drink recommended by the doctor. My dad didn't really appreciate the flavor of it, but the doctor said it did provide a complete spectrum of nutrients and was high calorie.

shakes to gain weight

At our clinic visit this month, nutritionist gave us two boxes (4 to a box) of 600 calorie powder shake mix, you add 1 cup whole milk and I put in blender. He has this every morning and I cut up a banana in it. Somedays I add ice cream too.

Oh almost forgot, the name is SCANDISHAKE calorie rich for weight gain. It is 3oz per envelope. I purchased six boxes on line: strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. He does not complain about taste so must be good. At that amount of calories, I don't dare sample for fear of gaining weight. lol

Thanks for the input! My mom loathes dairy items unless they come in the form of a latte. So Ensure is off the table (even though, technically I'm not sure if there is dairy in it ... ) She tried it and gagged -- the yuck kind, not the ALS kind. :) And shakes and smoothies she won't do if they're made into something creamy. I have found that a good Jamba Juice goes a long way, but she doesn't drink more than a quarter cup at one sitting, so that takes a while to get into her.

I'm glad people have used calorie additives. It seems like a pretty good idea. My mom has lost so much weight. She says nothing tastes good, she's not hungry, etc. She's always had a rather refined palate, so I can see how a bottle of ensure just isn't want she wants. It's tough to watch her slow down with the eating, seeing her get so thin. And last night she woke up repeatedly because she said she felt like her throat was closing. She won't wear the bi-pap because she hates the masks (even though she's tried a good number of different types). Her stubborn Irish nature, I suppose. But it doesn't make it any easier to watch.

protein shakes

My sister-in-law gave me this recipe:

1/2 cup regular eggbeaters
1/2 cup sherbet (any flavor, my husband likes orange)
1/2 can or more of 7-Up (helps cut phlegm)

Add ice and mix in the blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back