Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
We are having a few issues at the moment, such as a cold/flu (all affected, cough assist came handy to help L cough up). But one 'new' thing I have noticed with Laurence is belching.

At first, I thought there was something wrong with his voice (it keeps going up and down and he struggles to get to the end of the sentence, but not in the same way one does with respiratory issues). He just sounds like he is going to burp any second, but he does not. Then he mentioned the word 'belching'. Any advice on this? Is this MND related or semi-related, and how best to treat?

Thanks, Dani

Is he swallowing a lot of air with the bipap? It sure blows me up and I have to release air through my peg tube. Not sure if this is what he means by belching but I know that I can't really burp through my mouth anymore so have to entertain my helpers in other ways.

Dani, could he be having problems with reflux? Its something to consider.

Barry, thanks for the chuckle.

Thanks both,

I opened the PEG tube (L's has 2 V shaped ends, opened both) and some 'stuff' came out. It seemed to have offered temporary relief. Barry, he may be swallowing too much air, as things are not as they should be with the cold we all have. Diane, I did think of reflux, but he does not seem to think this is an issue as when we read on symptoms things do not add up. His speech is a little better today. D

Dani, I hope all three of you are feeling 100% better soon! Maybe its just the congestion, complicating things.

Barry, last night when too much air was making its way into my stomach I thought I'd try your trick, and I'm laying there in the dark, with the tube unclamped and uncapped, hoping nothing was going to spurt out of the top, and all over me! I didn't hear (feel, smell, or see) anything come out (thankfully) it did seem to help a little. I usually get more air down the esophagus from the bipap on nights when I'm having trouble relaxing to fall/stay asleep...

When I belch though my tube I put the syringe barrel in so that I don't make a mess and it contains anything liquid that wants to come out. It also has the added benefit of creating more noise! I think my new helper was more grossed out by that than when she had to clean me and my bed when I didn't make it to the toilet! Isn't this fun?

I really am laughing thinking of the fun we have with the tubes. The syringe to make more noise is a great idea. I know this is a serious post but I must share my warped sense of humor. At a 2day fishing trip last week several of us were drinking a few adult beverages. After a couple of hours I asked if anyone wanted some home brew. They asked what I meant, so I pulled out my tube and told them it was going to be a little warm but they were welcome to try it! Needless to say some people called me one sick bast@@@@.:grin::grin:
Why not have fun when we can?

Just an update: I have been releasing the air and whatever else needs to come out through L's tube, and this seem to get rid of the symptoms I described. Thanks for suggestions. Dani

LOL- G-tube farts!
Seriously though, Dani, glad its working for you and L!

Glad that it worked for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back