Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virgina
City
Fredericksburg
I just had my 4th baby three months ago.

Everything was great until I developed a strain in my left calf that had not gone away. It has not affected my life, gosh... I just finished a crossfit workout...But, I wanted to get it checked out because a week prior I had an IUD placed and I have had issues with blood clots with my form of birth control.

In a stream of tests, my reflex in my left knee was noted as brisk and she is sending me in to an nero to get ALS ruled out.

Oh my goodness! I am scared to death! I had no idea a brisk reflux was a symptom of ALS.

Hyperreflexia is an early symptom of ALS, along with clinical weakness and atrophy, but having one of these symptoms is a long way from being indicative of ALS. Some people just have brisk reflexes with no neurogenic condidion.

This is no time to be scared to death. This is just a time to check with a qualified neurologist to see what's going on. Odds are it's benign, or treatable, or a lot of other things before you get to ALS. Stop freaking out.

I wish she would have explained to me the weakness and atrophy part was well. She just threw out ALS. Its hard not to worry when you hear those words.

So sorry your doctor didn't give you more information to calm your fears. One symptom really doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scope of things. If you have no other symptoms I wouldn't worry too much, although I'm sure it's hard not to after being shocked like that! Let us know how you make out! Best of luck! (PS......we lived in your town for 18 years).

Brisk reflex is a symptom of many things.

I think it was irresponsible of your doctor to mention ALS. You've got a fairly common problem and ALS is is a really rare disease. Don't worry about it.

There's no reason to believe you have ALS.

Mommy, please remember that most doctors really are not very familiar with ALS unless they are neurologists who specialize in this. As the others have said, brisk reflexes mean little. With no other symptoms, you can enjoy that new baby (except for the little sleep and exhaustion part!) and go on with life.
Your doctor was irresponsible in throwing that at you. When I was 19, went to a doctor for nosebleeds and was told it could be leukemia. Worried myself sick till it was prove not to be,so know it is hard to put that comment out of your head. Some doctors need a course in "reassuring a patient until there is good reason not to!" Yours needs to be enrolled in it! Hugs. Donna

If you've had clots in the past, there may be some minor tissue damage. Do not worry. Also, reflexes can be brisk one day and tame the next. Maybe get a leg massage w/ a few minutes of moist heat after and do more stretching (static, hold each at least 4 seconds) before your crossfits.

Congratulations on your new addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back