Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ma
City
uxbridge
I am having trouble with my daughter,my care taker. I have ALS, I found out for sure in Oct.I have trouble walking, my right leg is useless. The problem is my daughter has a big heart but I don't think she can handle the battle we face. My other daughter wants to take me in, but I don't want to hurt first daughter feelings. I sit here and she is in bed for most of the day. She has one sickness after another.We aren't eating right nor are her three kids. We have lived together always. I am just rambling on I just want less stress and not to have to decide another thing. I would apprciate any input. thank you for being here.

I am so sorry for your situation. Maybe you need to have a heart to heart family meeting. Everything open, honest and on the table. You have to do what is best for you. Hang in there I hope things work out and decreases your stress.

Hello Wendy, if your daughters are on good terms, maybe they could work it out? So sorry you have this on top of everything else. God bless

Mary Ellen

Thank you all I guess I have some thinking to do

you could tell her that you don't want her to ignore her own kids when your care becomes too great so you decided to live with the sister. believe me, it is hard to care for kids and a PALS! she may be upset, but you have to do what is right for you. do it now before you get too far along. she could always give the other sister breaks when she needs it.

Hi Wendy: Sorry to hear of this diagnosis. My family didn't know how to handle things so ALS of Michigan told us to ask my brother what he wanted. He said he wanted to always stay at home so we made that happen. Maybe your 2nd daughter could put it that way and then you can say you want to live with her. Your daughter might be relieved-she needs to take care of her kids. Just reassure her that you want to see them a lot and be a part of her life. You are blessed to have 2 caring daughters. Take care God Bless

I think vickim is right think you should follow her advise and the daughter who is your care giver may have a weaken immune system that is not good for either of you and it will be too much on her she may try hard as best she can but you will be happier else where being taken care of right .... good luck

My daughter insisted to care for my dad. I told her no but she did It during thoseddddd years she had 2 more kids, I kept offering different arraignments she wouldn't budge. Her child was autistic. My husband was sick the last few years I did as much as I could! Now it's all done and she says she wouldn't have done it...".it was too much. She's.drinking, not coping, just a mess. I'm sure your daughter will slide downhill as mine did. It really is a lot of trouble with young kids and she will continue to get sick. If I had it to do over I would have stopped her .she almost cleaned out his Money, including inheritance. If you have a bad feeling, just. Don't do it. It's super bad stuff for all of us. Plus....you need good meals to keep your weight up. Good luck. Love m

The worst part of this for our family is that every few days I find something that I could do that I can no longer do. That leaves it to someone else. I've always taken the lion's share of chores and stuff and as I progress, my wife has to step forward and that really makes me crazy. I'm still fairly early in all this and work but find myself sleeping an extra hour or two and that is 2 hours of unproductive time ...

I can see the pain in the above posts and see that freight train coming. blah.

It can be very difficult to deal with family some times. My husband's daughter came to live with us, and help with her father's care 8 months ago. She is 21 and a beautiful girl with the best of intentions. I'm afraid that she has not learned how to work, having her first job at 19, and being tidied up after most of her life. I love her dearly, and we do enjoy each others company, as long as I don't need her to do something. We are totally different personalities, and I raised my kids much differently, where they had chores and they had to do them well.

We were actually paying her to be our house keeper, and gave her free room and board, so that she could save up for college and give me a break at the same time. At the end of the summer, and weekly "sit down talks" I told her we would no longer pay her, as she wasn't doing the work. We also had to hire a care giver to help Tim while I was at work, and she was doing the daughters work while she sat and watched TV. This has been such a irritation, that after talking with her father we decided to tell her that if she didn't improve she would have to return back to Texas when she went back for Christmas. We put a white board up, and a daily chore list that she would have to mark off, and she did much better. She will be returning after the holidays, but I am home full time now, and I cannot deal with the added stress of her not carrying the load, while I care for her father, do the paper work, shovel the driveway, and do the house work. We will continue to do the white board, but if she reverts to her previous ways she will have to go. Stress is a killer, and I know that if I am unhappy it will affect my husband, and ultimately be bad for him. Difficult times require difficult decisions. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

you could tell her that you don't want her to ignore her own kids when your care becomes too great so you decided to live with the sister. believe me, it is hard to care for kids and a PALS! she may be upset, but you have to do what is right for you. do it now before you get too far along. she could always give the other sister breaks when she needs it.

excellent advice! and the sooner the better! be firm and make the move

Wendyj, how have your been doing, have you dealt with this at all, if so how, and how is it working out?

Hi zoohouse,
No I haven't dealt with anything.We are all going on a cruise in jan. so I will decide after. I don't want hurt feelings to mar the trip. But,nothing has changed. She has never left home but has worked till she hurt her back. I don't know what the answer is. I take it day by day. Thank you for asking

have a good trip then hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back