Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
ca
State
ontario
City
richmond hill
Before being diagnosed the neuro wants one last emg test,blood test and review the mri for the neck.What concerns me is no mri of the head and no lyme test.
If ALS is diagnosed i am not sure i can feel comfortable everything was done.
Should a mri of the head and lyme test be done?

I would say yes and yes. I can tell you that for me they did and MRI of my brain and a lyme test. You can ask your Dr if he says not then go to someone else. Regardless you should get a second opinion. Asx my diagnosing Neuro told me "do not let anyone tell you that you have a serious disease and not get a second opinion".

MRIs are not all that, I've had clean MRIs and my EMGs are as dirty as a babies diaper.

Same for me Clean MRI but bulbar and lower moter neuron weekness (emg) confirmed diagnosis. No lyme deases test but have not ever found a tick embedded in me? I don't know if that makes a diffrence.

The MRI of the brain is done to exclude other processes causing the symptoms. If you have ALS it shouLd be "clean". I had 2 in the end. One at the start of weakness and another 2 years later, when I changed neurologists, to rule out MS.

Yes if you suspect ALS you have the MRI to rule out anything else causing the symptoms. If your Dr. suspects ALS and your MRI comes back clean it is good news and bad news. The good news is that nothing is wrong with the area the MRI was performed, the bad news is that it is even more likely that you have ALS. Have an MRI done and hope it doesn't come back clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back