Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
PL
State
MZ
City
Warsaw
My wife was diagnosed two years ago, and the progression has been quite fast. Right now she is almost completely immobile, has a PEG and a vent since a little more than a year.

She used to be really smart, both in the academic and the emotional sense, had a great sense of humor, and used to be very empathetic in general. I am noticing that lately it has been changing, she is apathetic, her relationship with her mother is almost non-existing (with no apparent reason, as far as I can see), but still resents the lack of sexual intimacy. I have read a few threads in here to realize that it is not so rare to be in my position (a caretaker that has lost interest in sex/intimacy, a PALS with a fixation on sex).

I am a bit worried about how to handle things anymore, today I got a very harsh email from her, where basically she says that she feels less lonely when I'm not home (I have a full time job). My initial reaction was to think, well, if that's how she feels maybe I need to move out. But to be realistic, I'm still the main caretaker, her family contribute, but not more than a couple of hours a week.

I don't have a question, I just wanted to vent. There are so few satisfactions in taking care of someone that is slowly wasting away, physically and mentally.

So sorry to hear of the losses in your relationship with your wife. ALS takes so much away from us.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back