Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
CA
State
East Coast
City
NA
I was diagnosed with LMND in the spring, I just had a follow up appt with neuro doc and he has prescribed "dilantin". I know it seems wrong to question his knowledge, but I really don't feel this is a prescription I should be taking. I do have the option from him to call with results with a pretty quick appt... and a follow up appt in two months. Sorry but after reading about this script I am not sure it is for me.
Any thoughts?
Willow

P.S. Should I really be questioning a neurologist? I just don't know any longer who I shoud be following/trusting?

You can question your doctor and ask him why. You can call your pharmacy and ask them. You can call your nurse. It is always good to ask questions. We have questioned the neurologist many times. Sometimes it makes him feel smart.

Went to mod land. Yes...do question.

Willow -questions are healthy you need to understand the rationale behind him prescribing you anything for that matter -a good neuro/doc will not be offended (taking them personally) by your questions but respect your need to understand and ensure you are well informed. My doc has never prescribed me anything without an explanation. Sorry i think only your doc could explain why your prescribed dilantin.

Definitely ask your Doc! What symptoms does he expect it to relieve?
I think one of our members in Hawaii was recently prescribed this as well.

I take gabapentin to relieve my muscle cramps and spasms. It is also used for seizure disorders. Makes perfect sense when you think about what the muscles are doing.

Doesn't seem wrong at all to question it.

Dilantin is a seizure medication. Ask him why he's prescribing it. Perhaps there are off label studies you don't know about or something. Ask about the side effects, and if you experience any of the side-effects, weigh them against any potential benefit.

I took the Neurontin so many here took, and had every single bad side effect, I wouldn't take it again if you paid me. Others do fine with it. It made me stupid, permenantly ruined my short term memory, caused massive swelling in my arms and legs and other assorted issues.

They are finding many meds work for off-label purposes now. Topamax works on neuropathy for me better than Neurontin ever did without the swelling, for instance. It also helps prevent migraines, but it can also increase kidney stones.

So many meds have side-effects; it pays to be well-informed. I have found that pharmacists know more about meds than most doctors.

Sorry, David. Off to mod land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back