Status
Not open for further replies.
I reverse my use with the Bi Pap I use it in the day because I feel like I am drowning when I sleep with it. I also have a problem turning in bed I need my husband to turn me and I wake him all night for itches I cant reach.
now I have a new problem because I cant get out of bed without his help I panic if he leaves to walk the dog
So bedtime is a nightmare for me as well

Pat

CB1977,

We were told that you do not take in the same volume of air when reclined. I don't know if that could be the cause of O2 dropping. Sounds logical to me. but what do I know?:wink:

Hey Pat- I fully sympathize with the nightmare. Nights are the worse, aren't they? Cindy

I posted this over a year ago in an effort to help Sharon. I hope there is something in it that might help someone here.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 PM #3
joelc
Registered Member

Abbotsford, BC CA
joelc is on a distinguished road

Hi Sharon,

I feel for you.....but it does get better!

I don't have any miracle cures for you, but try to relax and ignore it to the best of your ability. I had exactly the same problem! I tried it one night and just about panicked so I ripped it off and forgot about it for the next several weeks. But, my headaches were becoming more severe so I knew I would either have to get used to a bipap or my time would be up real soon. Since I was not ready to die yet.....still have too much living to do! I knew I would somehow have to get past my panic and use it. It was one of the harder things I have done! Some people don't have any problems - I did.

I had a good long talk with myself and then thought - if others can do this then so can I!
I put the mask on and laid quietly on my left side and concentrated on other things. I have a very strong mind, so I forced myself to RELAX. After awhile the bipap synchronizes with your breathing pattern and gets more comfortable. Everytime I put it on it takes a few minutes before it perceives my breathing pattern and stops fighting me. It also took several nights to get the settings so they were comfortable, your RT will work with you on this.

I was also a mouth breather because of sinus problems since 13. So I got a face mask - tried several before I found one I liked. It only took 2 nights to get used to it once I stopped trying to fight it. Now I cannot understand why I fought it so hard at first. It is a LIFE SAVER! I can now get a good nights sleep and wake up rested, this has not happened in over 7 or 8 years.

Try using it a bit during the day just to get used to it. Lay down for an afternoon rest and put it on. Have a good talk with yourself......YOU CAN DO THIS - I DID.
Once you get used to it life gets better as you will have more energy. My breathing was also better during the day, likely because my diaphragm got some rest while I was using the bipap.

I can totally relate to what you are saying, but please relax and convince yourself you can do this - because you can!

You can also ask your doctor for a mild sedative you can use at night.

Hope this will help you a bit......ask me anything and I will try to answer.

I just love you Joel!
You are such a rock of support to me!

I love how you always are so kind and helpful to us all!
You have been a rock for my family
Sincerely,
netty

Joel- you prove that old adage, "mind over matter."

At one point in my life I did a lot of research on motivational psychology and found that the difference between the sports player who makes more goals, baskets, home runs or whatever, is that, all other factors being equal, the person who performs better is silently telling themselves, "I can do this."

Others say to themselves, "I hope I can do this."

Our mind believes what we tell it, apparently. I Learned one should never give their mind reason to doubt your own abilities.:smile:

I agree with mind over matter.

I also have sleep apnea (8 years now). I have been on CPAP for 6 years. People with un-treated sleep apnea do not dream.

I AM claustrophobic. Even watching people go into tight spaces on TV bothers me.

My first night with my CPAP machine and a full face mask was a disaster. I dreamed. Under water snorkelling. And then it got nasty. An octopus attached itself to my face in my dream. I woke up screaming. Only to have a mask with 5 straps holding my mask on. I freaked . The mask was snapped in half , the air hose was shredded , I scared the hell out of my wife before I realized it was a dream. I stayed awake the rest of the night and had to tell the reseller what happened to my new equipment. They gave me a good break on the replacements , as it was very funny to them.

I had to learn that I would have this thing for the rest of my life. I began to feel the benefits with a month . I decided , being a car guy , that it wasn't a burden , but a turbo charger with 11psi of boost. Supercharged.

Helping your Mom to accept the machine will be easier if she can relate it to a good experience. All she has to do is believe in it for any insane reason. GOOD FOR YOU doesnt work

my .02

My friends and family are all the reason I need to fight this ALS thing.

Thinking positive with Attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back