Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
SC
City
Gaffney
Will the VA provide you a bed for your home?

Yes. A hospital bed. Ask for the rotating mattress. It is absolutely needed, if not now, eventually.

My husband has a pro-bed that turns him on a set time schedule. We have it at the optimal 20 minutes at 20 degrees on right side and then the same on his left side. We have chosen not to have him on his back as he is in his chair all day, but it can be programmed in as well. It can turn him while the head of the bed is elevated and the knees up. It is an extremely expensive bed but the VA pays for it. Check it out, we are extremely happy with it, and they have 24/7 support if there is any problems. We have not had any, but they really mean it when they say they are there for you. It increases circulation, and decreases the chances of secretion sitting and consolidating in the lungs. His skin never gets even the slightest pressure spots, and there is a special bolster that holds his legs so that they don't flop on turns. It also allows a roho insert for the "bum" if there are a pressure sores already.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette..

Things I didn't know. Thanks, all.

Paulette, did the VA give you a hard time about getting this bed?

In general, I never had any hard time getting whatever was available from the VA. Each person we dealt with seemed to enjoy making sure we got all the equipment we needed.

Curiously, they had no way to accept it back when it was no longer needed. We just donated our equipment to others.

Our process is slightly more complicated as we are dealing with foreign affairs, but pro-bed basically took care of it. It was probably the easiest process that we have had with foreign affairs so far.
Paulette

My primary care VA doctor said she would get my bed ordered. Great!

What bed are you ordering? The one difficult thing is if you have a regular hospital bed you get one with a true alternating mattress. The ones they had just purchased at the VA were useless, and we had to have the mattress switched to a different one. If they will get the pro-bed I highly recommend it. As a nurse I have seen many beds and different mattresses and this one is amazing.

Paulette

They are ordering the Pro Bed Model # PAR3-A3F per my VA Social Worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back