Not open for further replies.

Sammantha

Country
Uni
State
NC
City
Newport
Does anybody here feel like something they did in there past is what has caused their illness? I keep telling myself that i did not cause this but i cant help think that maybe something i did as a teenager caused this. I used to be so muscular like a little gymnast and i hated it! I always wished my arms and legs were skinny straight. All the girls in my family are thick. Now i have thinned out alot and not by diet! Especially my behind. I cant help think that maybe it i got this from watching my food cook in the microwave as a kid or the experimental stuff i did as a teenager......... I dont know, i thought i would just post about what is on my mind a lot......Sam

This question has come up many times over the years, I don't think it is anything we did to ourselves. It just happened.
Human nature always wants wants a reason, but I sincerely believe we had nothing to do with it. If we look hard enough we can find hundreds of people that have gone through the same things as us and they don't have ALS, so why do we?
That's the million dollar question!

Just my 2 cents,
Joel

Hi Sam. I'm a guy, smoked a couple of joints as a teen, but didn't inhale. LOL. Didn't watch my food being nuked. I ended up with ALS and I don't blame it on anything I did as a kid. Now the 34 years or so of firefighting probably had something to do with it. As Joel says, it just happened. Fate? God? I don't know and never will unless I get to heaven or wherever. Don't worry about spilled milk. Wipe up the mess, pour another glass and drink. Get on with living. The past is gone.
AL.

I personally don't believe its anything that we did our self, I think all the pollution and toxins in our envirement have to do with it. I certainly do believe that stress lowers are immune system and lets
all the free radicals in and this is what causes alot of people to get diseases. It is definately scary
I am hearing of more and more young people getting cancer (alot terminal) and nuerological diseases
like ALS years ago you did not hear of alot younger people getting sick especially terminal. I sometimes wonder if a craft glue I used for work for about 8 years has anything to do what I am going through now. (there was a warning label on it that said it was illegal in CA due to it can cause cancer) I guess it is something we are never going to know, so like AL said just keep on living.

I know this isn't funny but, Freddie used to say that all the Rock and Roll, groupies and drugs. He always wasn't one of the most faithful guys, you know the groupies and etc. etc. etc. I myself NEVER put up with B.S. I used to be Freddies manager for about ten years before we got married, we married after he had become ill, lived together for about 6 years. I had known him for many years before.But sometimes he wonders what if I wouldn't of done all those things I did. I have reassured him that God has forgiven him and his slate is clean.... I know that our God is loving and sometimes we all go through things for reasons that we will never understand....I have truly helped him to come back to the reality of this life without something to stand behind. That damn guitar! But boy could he play, He has told me "you really love me naked" I laughed and asked him "what" He says that he feels naked without his guitar, I really do feel that he thought that guitar, made him someone and really he has always been there all the time. He has learned to find himself, he relates alot to quadbliss...he loves to hear about him..I think quad has hit the nail on the head about this whole reason we all communicate to each other, the horrid ALS! He has taken a positive and turned it into a different prospective, thank you quadbliss!And how I hate this disease, I knew that in time even if my husband didn't have to learn to use his gift in a different way now, he still would of learned to love himself as he would say naked. I myself have always been very spiritual, taught Sunday School and all that I needed to do to raise my family, we truly were magnets, that attracted through music.
I do not believe that bad things happen to bad people, I believe things just happen!
Still trying to stay strong, prayer helps me!
Netty

Let m tell you I lived a pretty boring life So why did I get this If it were true that bad thing happen to bad people there would alot more peopl suffering out there and I could name a few LOL . S^^^t happens and bad things happens to good people . We all know that by the nice people here on the forum

Hang in there guys

pat1

I remember one time when I was 8 or 9, and one of the mercury-filled thermometers in our house was dropped and broken. I collected the mercury and put it in a little dish and played with it for weeks!

There have been a couple of times that I have remembered this and wondered if it could have had anything to do with the problems I am having now.

But, at least this does not worry me.

Now, a couple of months ago, they did a CT scan of my lung and found something that they thought might be cancer. I smoked for many years, and this really freaked me out! Fortunately, they did the scan a month later and it had gotten smaller, so they concluded that it must have been pneumonia or something.

I don't kick myself about possibly having ALS, but the smoking was something where I clearly knew better.

John

Bass man

Hi Netty

Was reading your post about Freddy and his guitar. George was an awesome bass player. He misses playing his bass. We have an awesome church where George rocked playing bass! I watch his couple fingers that still can move a little. This morning Chicago was on and his fingers still move ever so much.

He says he wants just "one" day to be normal again. I smile and my heart breaks for him and all the PALS.

Someday.....we will all be together and ALS will be history!

Patty

Yeah, sometimes we watch some videos of freddie playing and I watch his face and still has that "guitar" face, I use to tell him that guitar face that guitar players make is their sex face.....thank god all that stuff works..........lol...........Freddie says that is what keeps him alive, he still has such a good sense of humor, he also moves his fingers some, but that face lets me know he still can play even if it is in his mind.....
Netty

We cannot correct the past. Everybody has something they could have or might have done better, or not done at all, for that matter. But even if it could be proven that those things caused sickness, how does that change the present?

One or two out of every 1000,000 people get this disease every year. Somebody has to be the one. Why not me?

JMO...

Cindy,
I agree, but I think they need to change the 1 or 2 out of every 100,000 people. It seems to be alot more.
I am not just talking about the people on this site.
I know I have said this in other posts but in my local area alone 5 people have it.
1) A guy my husband went to school with has it
2) A guy my husband works with brother - in-law has it
3) my neighbor's helper at work daughter- in -law has it
4) another neighbor works with a dr who's brother has it
5) one of my family dr's patients has it

Same here. But I live in an area of the country where we have "clusters" of an unusual number of cases, or so we are told. could be that the rest of the country is catching up, though I hate to think so. One or 2 out of every 100,000 is still too many, if you ask me! :(

I live in Northeastern Wisconsin and I have been told there is a cluster of ALS cases here. Marshfield clinic is doing a study on the possible genetic links.

I live in South Dakota. A high number of people in some rural communities here have a high rate of cancer that has speculatively been traced to environmental factors (pesticides, unclean water, etc) but I don't "think" any of my naughties in my past have caused me to have this. Not that I have done anything wrong, mind you ( gasp, sputter, giggle, chuckle, giggle some more) But I am forgiven for all those things and if God were to offer me a bit of Karma he already has- raising three of my own children, but it didn't do it for me- he did it so my parents could look down from Heaven and LAUGH their butts off after everything I pulled as a teenager.

But seriously- I have more than once thought about exposure to something in my workplace (rehab facility/long term care) and hospitals prior to that could have caused it.? WHO KNOWS! I wish I knew a cure for every devastating disease I've ever treated.

oops- 2 more things. I also USED to play guitar. I can still play the electric a little bit ( kinda like typing with hunt and peck) My son plays my acoustic Beautifully, so that is comforting- and a tiny bit jealousy invoking- ha ha

ALSO- I too played with mercury on our kitchen table for weeks. We didn't KNOW it was dangerous. My Mom found us a nice little bottle to keep it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back