Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
Mom hates the idea of a bedside commode. It's getting more and more difficult to transfer her onto the " jhon".She's a little thing, 5 foot and needs to reach the floor with her feet. Any suggestions?

How are you transferring now? Does your layout of the bathroom allow for a patient lift around the toilet?

Get a plastic step (some are sold as health items, others for exercise "stepping") as a footrest. Whatever she ends up in, this will help. Also, if she hates the idea of a bedside commode and the regular toilet won't work, she could still go into the bathroom w/ a combo shower/commode chair. None of this is ideal but part of the disease adaptation.

Even if you can use a lift now to get her onto the toilet, she may need to stay in the sling all or part way now or later. Or move to another throne.

We have never used a lift, I wouldn't know where to begin. The steps and commode sound like a good idea. We had our bathroom remodeled for use of the wheelchair.

If you do a you tube search on hoyer lift toilet, and sit stand lift toilet, I think it will help you understand if a mobile lift is doable for your bathroom layout. The MDA or ALSA loan closet may have one you can use.

You should at least start planning for when some type of lift will be necessary.

my husband did not want a commode either--it took 4 people to get him on the real john in a little water closet he was so stubborn! I just went ahead and ordered one because I was so sick of it--and after he used it a few times he said with a smile "good thing I ordered this chair!"

We built the floor up in our shower, took out the glass doors and put the chair in there. he can have the privacy of a shower curtain, and stay on it to shower. I also keep the bowl very clean--can't stand odors. I rinse it after every use and keep water and a squirt of toilet bowl cleaner in it so it never smells. I store the bowl in the bathtub...with fresh water in it...:)

We buy T-shirt bags in bulk and line the commode w/ one and a paper towel or 2. Then double bag for disposal.

If you go to my suggestion on the next page "device for eliminating the need to transfer from scooter or wheelchair" I
Have received nothing but compliments. I even took it to the hospital when I went in for a feeding tube. Recognizing
The difference in anatomies you will have to make some modifications. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back