Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Carthage
I was hoping for your thoughts on remodeling a bathroom. I have had nursing friends say get a roll in shower, make the bathroom so it is easy on you and gives him independence in the bathroom. Others have said, don't waste the money, a time will come that most of that will be done in others ways. I have looked at medical supply stores and some of the equipment would help for a while but I can see where it's life could be short as to being useful. I don't want to waste money but I want to make it easiest on him and I. Thoughts?

Not to discourage you but we opted not to do the remodel - good thing, he is now bedridden. It would have been a huge waste for us. I wish I had a magic ball. Everyone progresses differently and he might benefit from the remodel. Wish I could help you more.

Debbie

I installed a roll-in shower and it was a tremendous help. I was able to shower Annie until about the last two weeks of her life. Her bowels became incontinent fairly early, and I wouldn't have been able to get her nearly as clean without having her in the shower. Annie was bedridden for about her last 6 months, but using a lift and sling to get her into her shower chair was still doable. Since I did the construction work myself the cost wasn't an issue for us. If you can afford it, I think you'll be glad you did.

We are planning our bathroom remodel now. My husband was initially concerned with leaving me a "handicap house", but as we've discussed, I'm not getting any younger AND, as our population ages, an accessible bathroom could be a good selling point one day. I do hate the idea of the disruption that construction will cause at this point, but my fingers are crossed that he'll be able to take advantage of it for some time to come (even if with the help of a lift). Money, of course, is a big factor in the decision--especially as you are still raising young children. Just like the progression of this disease, each of our situations is a bit different. You need to care for him, but also reserve enough of yourself (which means conserving strength and saving your back) and your finances for the kids. Sometimes I wish we had a crystal ball--but then I decide that might be even worse.

instead of a bathroom remodel, we got a portable shower base, and put up a shower curtain.

It works brilliantly, and when he can't stand to transfer we will still hoist him onto the commode for showers until he can't sit on it.

I can PM reply photos of it.

Any upholsterer could make one for a couple of hundred dollars easily.

we remodled and I think it is the best thing we could have done. the entire bathroom is a wet room, tiled the walls up to the ceiling. it is beautiful and simple ... a tall camode, pedastil sink(great for wheelchair users) and roll into shower(no lip on the floor).
put in a pocket gor so it isnt een ever in the way, the house is so old the old bathroom door was only 22 inches wide!

nice!

something like that will be workable and usable even after the need for handicapped accessible is gone. there is not need to make the bathroom ugly or not user friendly for everyone--just takes extra thought. And with an aging national population, an accessible bathroom is a bonus not a detriment to selling.

in our bathroom we had a stepdown shower that was very large, so we added a removable teak wood floor so he can roll straight in. removed the glass from the front and put up a shower curtain so very easy access for him and to clean. someday, the wood floor insert can come out and the glass can go back up (had professionals remove it in one piece and stored it in the attic). our door was big enough, but the toilet was in a water closet that he could not access. we decided not to have that changed, because his upper body was already weak and he was not comfortable sitting on a hard throne. we got a padded commode chair and store it in the shower when I am not using it. He can use the shower area as a commode room and have privacy with the curtain if I am in the room at the sink.

I like a pocket door idea-- looks good and doesn't take up too much room

wow, that is class :)

I do admit I got this idea of a beautiful bathroom remodel job too in the early stages, but it wasn't really feasible and now I'm glad because I have a big enough mortgage to support already.

Even the simple idea I had, turned out not to be simple but would have left the bathroom in a very saleable condition, but nowhere near the class of that photo. Love it!

thanks, we stole the closet from the adjoining room to make the shower area, the picture is before the fixtures went in and a couple support/safety bars added. I have kept it very minamalistic.
and much better than the yellow 4inch wall tiles and black trim tiles of the 60's that we had lived with for years!

I took a few pictures of our bathroom, which we think is very functional and beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 364
Really beautiful Paulette and certainly functional indeed!

oh so much room Paulette!

very nice Paulette!

Wow! What beautiful bathroom remodels. The conversation here is kind of what I have already heard. Some say go for it and some say not worth it. That crystal ball would really come in handy on situations like this but I am not sure I want to know it all. We have received our first estimate and it was about what we expected but still a lot of money. I guess in the back of my mind I feel that I will benefit from it the most by making things easier. Thanks for all the advice and sharing the pictures.

instead of a bathroom remodel, we got a portable shower base, and put up a shower curtain.

It works brilliantly, and when he can't stand to transfer we will still hoist him onto the commode for showers until he can't sit on it.

I can PM reply photos of it.

Any upholsterer could make one for a couple of hundred dollars easily.

Tillie

I would like to see a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back