Not open for further replies.

Stereo98

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, thank you for reading this. Two weeks ago I had an appointment with a neurologist to review an MRI that a radiologist had flagged as noteworthy. It was stated that, “Non-specific lesions” were noticed. The neurologist dismissed the findings and the possibility of MS. Which was an immense relief.

During my visit I had a basic neurological assessment (history taking, push/pull arms, touch nose, put vibrating thing against toes, etc.) and the neurologist said everything was fine and there was no reason to follow-up. During the exam, I forgot to mention that I have twitching all over my body, and at times have even been woken up from sleep from these twitches. Since my appointment my twitches have intensified and it is alarming.

My question is, would a basic neuro examination look for any and all neurological problems when the visit was specifically for MS? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

The basic neuro exam is designed to test for neurologic deficits whatever the cause. People often are concerned that it seems quick but each part is there to look at a specific function or multiple functions. By the time a neurologist is qualified they have done these exams 1000s of times. I have had a doctor zipping through the exam then suddenly going back a step to retest an abnormality.

Thank you for your response and the insight, Nikki.

Stereo,...

"During the exam, I forgot to mention that I have twitching all over my body,
and at times have even been woken up from sleep from these twitches."

Apparently you didn't have any during the exam. :) Think about that.

"...the neurologist said everything was fine and there was no reason to follow-up."

What great news !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back