Barry's Brigade Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing Barry! I've also posted on my FB. Thank you for doing this!
Melody

Barry

Well done. I really enjoyed your speech. Great job. Now you have encouraged me to get our team together for the walk.

Thanks Kay Marie, Melody and Debbie! The more exposure the better and yes Debbie, I am looking forward to seeing you (and your mom too I hope) in June.

We plan on being there and your speech was a really good reminder to get our act together and start raising some money as the ALS society was amazing and without them I'm not sure how my dad could have gotten through this ugly, ugly disease. See you in June

posted, tweeted and donated :) Great speech, Barry! I am going to try to organize something here in Calgary, now that I know it is the day before your walk. I will keep you posted.

I just talked to a friend on the phone today. Her identical twin sister died from ALS in 2007 and she and her husband are travelling from their home in Maryland to come to my walk on June 12 in Edmonton, Alberta!

She is a very distant in-law, her mom is a cousin of my niece's husband's mom and since she found out that I had ALS we have been corresponding by email, post and on the phone but we have never actually met. I am so happy that they are flying 2300 miles to see me and walk in Barry's Brigade and I can't wait to give her a really big real hug.

I have raised $900 in on-line donations (thank you everyone for your donations and messages) and am canvassing as many people as I know in town for donations so we are well on the way to reaching my goal of $4000.

I encourage everyone here to participate in a local walk wherever you are, we all benefit and I know that it will help find a cure.

ALS Fundraising Community

.............................and Barry , just how did you all put this together that you are related ? (distant in law). How did the subject of a cousin of your niece's husband 's mom come up? Well no matter, she is flying 2300 miles to see you and walk with you in the ALS Walk , she can be related to you any way she wants ! Good for you ...............I cant wait for you to tell us all about the visit and the walk ! CATE

Cate, it is complicated but Linda was visiting with her mom's cousin Paulette (my niece's mother-in-law) at a family reunion in Calgary last summer and she got to talking to my niece Erin. Erin mentioned that I had ALS and Linda contacted me to talk and it went from there. What was that thing about six degrees of separation? However it works I am so glad to have friends.

I only wish that when Linda called me to tell me that they are coming that my electronic voice could show some emotion! I need some happy sound effects!

that is great really shows that people who can - will -

Well that was a blast! I am back home today and rested after 12 hours of sleep. My sister Debby who lives in Edmonton was visiting us last week so she and I drove in on Friday afternoon (three hour drive) from my home in Hinton. This saved me from having to get up at 5:30 yesterday morning to make it to the park for the walk. When we got to Edmonton we went to the hotel that my friends Linda and Peter Batty from Montgomery Village, Maryland were staying at and had a really nice time visiting with them. We had never actually met before and there were quite a few hugs and tears, I feel like I have known Linda for ever.

Debby and I got to the park at 8:45 and visited with friends while we waited for the rest of my team to arrive. By the time that everyone had arrived and registered we had 22 people who raised over $7000! My goal was $4000 so I am very happy. We had a great time, I was pushed around the park for one lap (2.5km) and then onto the picnic site while some of my team did a second lap for 5k. There were over 1000 people at the walk and they set a goal of $200K and I am sure that there will be no problem reaching it.

We had a very nice team picnic after the walk and everyone had a really nice visit. We left Edmonton at about 4:30 and got home at about 8 and I went straight to bed.

I will post pictures in an album on my page when I get some, I took a camera but was too busy "talking" to take any pictures.

Thanks to all of my team, donators and to everyone here for your support, it means a lot.

Here is a link to my walk website if anyone is interested
ALS Fundraising Community

Sounds like you had a great time, Barry! And, sounds like the whole walk was very successful. Congratulations Looking forward to the pictures.

Barry, how wonderful! Congratulations on all that you have accomplished. Waiting for pictures. :)

EXCELLENT! I am glad you had a good time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back