Not open for further replies.

adams_mommy_07

Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Greensboro
Hi, my name is Melanie and I'm 22 years old and experiencing what I think are bulbar symptoms. The symptoms have appeared within the past month with difficultly pronouncing "st" "sh" "t" "ed" sounds. I also have difficulty swallowing sometimes. I have also noticed that my tongue and lips are "lagging" feeling, slow to form words when I want to speak.

In terms of extremities, I have noticed that I loose my balance often when stepping off of a chair or something, but have never fallen. I do trip a lot, but I walk around really fast at work so I'm not sure if that is more a product of a hurried pace.

I'm not sure if these symptoms could be attributed to an abnormally high stress level? Right now I'm a new mother, get 2-3 hours less sleep/night than I'm used to, work 33 hours a week at a very stressful job, I'm a full-time student, I'm also stessing out in preparation for graduate school, and I have issues in my personal life with my fiance as well requiring we go to counseling. I constantly feel stressed and on the go, never relaxing or not worrying about something.

Could my symptoms be attributed to stress? The seem a little too specific to ALS to be, IMHO. What do you think?

Hi,
Im also 22 years and and I was, too, concerned about bulbar form of ALS. But - bulbar ALS is even more rare than ALS itself and in 22 years there is almost no chance to get it.

Anyway, stress and anxiety often results to swallowing troubles (its the "lump in the throat" feeling). About the speaking troubles - I dont know. Do your troubles go better? If yes, thats an excellent sign. Have you done an EMG - neuro exam yet?

Take care

bulbar ALS is rare, it's even more rare in 22 yr olds.

You should see a neruologist though, just to elimiate your fears.

YOu need to reduce your stress level somehow, life is too short to live like that

Myasthenia Gravis

Hi Melanie,
I have myasthenia gravis which started the same way you are describing your symptoms. I (overnight it seemed) started with my not being able to pronounce s's. I started to have a lisp. Then I stopeed being able to swallow, liquids esp. after about 4 months I was finally referred to a neurologist who diagnosed me rightaway based on my symptoms. I was 11 years old. I'm 28 now. I post on here because my mother is being evaluated as a possible diagnosed of ALS. Take good care of yourself.

Hi,

I am not 22 anymore but when I was I married in June and worked full time. In September I had Tuesdays and Thursdays off and finished my last semester in undergrad with 16 hours of class. Prior to that I had worked full time and went to school part time. Adding a husband made it hard enough - no baby but by Novemeber I was bleeding from places without cuts and ended up with a week in the hospital. Gee whiz it was time for a change. Lucky for me the semester was almost over and I graduated in Dec.

We can make ourselves sick and others around us to. I never got sick again until now (I am 59) but I think my husband and our two daughters would have been happier if I had less time in school and work (I continued to do both-but not both full time) and spent more time at home. I know I would have been. I was the bread winner and he was the home parent but I could have done less. PLEASE let something go = not the kid -:-D and take care of yourself NOW. Sincerely, Peg

It is interesting, isn't it Peg, when we look back and see the choices we could have made. I am sure my elders tried to tell me some things but I always needed to find out for myself. :-D Yours is good advice, though. A concept I am still working on, actually. :-D regards, Cindy

LOL :-D Me too Cindy. But maybe she is smarter than me. Have a great weekend. Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back