Balance issues with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope

Distinguished member
Would anyone be able to tell me if balance can become a problems with ALS. Sometimes a bit of swaying, just a little bit once in a while.

Sandy.

hope said:
Would anyone be able to tell me if balance can become a problems with ALS. Sometimes a bit of swaying, just a little bit once in a while.

Sandy.
Balance is very much a problem now for me. I still have quite a bit of leg strength in my main leg muscles but very poor balance and can only walk with the aid of a walker (or a cane for very short distances). I can climb stairs but need to hold onto a rail for balance. My physio explained to me that my adductor muscles were very weak giving me little lateral support.

I haven't thought about it much but when the Neuro checks me over he usually has me walk on tip toes and heels and then the heel to toe one the cops give you when they think you've been drinking. I've only seen that one on TV but I'd be screwed if they gave it to me I'd fall over just like at the Neuro's. Never asked why they give you that test. Could be muscles or could be for balance. I don't do well in any of those tests but the other ones for strength I do ok.

Although LB was diagnosed a year ago and was having balancing problems for a while before this I'm just now realizing the difference in strength and balance. LB recently has been loosing his strength in his legs in just a matter of steps. He has lost the strength just buy getting up and taking four steps from his chair and then before he could get back his knees would buckle and down he goes. When he gets out of the shower to dry off, I stand behind him to add a little support while he dries off as much as he can. This past week was a lot harder. His balance was so far off that I fell into the wall just trying to stablize him. I had to ask him to stop and let me help while he just held to the walker. I believe that to be more problems with balance than strength. Although he was so tried I had to put the chair behind him to set in instead of him taking a couple of steps to it. There are a lot of small everyday things that seem to affect balance for him like reaching for some items. I think I tend not to pay too much attention to those because he just makes adjustments to make it work for him. He is so good about that, sometimes I think too good for his own good.

There fixed it for you.

My balance has gotten a lot worse in the past few months.I have a fear of falling so now I shuffle as I walk.I think if I got bumped into I would surely fall.I still have a glass or two of red wine though, Al!Too bad booze doesnt correct balance.Hope everyone had a great Easter

Hello everyone,

I wanted to comment on this as well. Now that dad is with us I have noticed that he is scared of falling. When he is up and feeling good he walks still very slow. but much more confiedent. When dad is tired he must walk along side the wall for support. He will take much longer to get from room to room. Bugsy he also does the shuffle.

The stange thing is that when the PT works with him on balence he is fine and can even build up the courage to go longer ways into rooms, and play golf with his friends.

Confidence is a major factor I think....

My husband is the same terri, he will make adjustments also and he will always say to me, I can do this. I also stay close by him because of balance sometimes, he is stubborn though, wants to do it all himself. He has always been a very strong man and I can see that strength continuing in this.

sandy.

balance while in chair

Hi Guys, Fairly new here. I have a question. I have noticed that most of the balance problems occur when standing or trying to walk. I seem to be "top heavy", (not that kind) ha..ha. If my upper body is even slightly out of line with the rest of my body I fall over like a tree. (timber) Does anyone else have this problem? I am confined to my wheelchair, thank God for seatbelts!
Brenda

Hi all, I have poor balance as I tend to walk tip toe, when I do fall I always fall backwards, never forwards.

Anyone else experience falling backwards ?

Jeannie xxx

Balance

Hi all! John1 - where are your adductor muscles?

My balance is gradually getting worse. I find just standing still I will loose it and have to take a couple of steps backward to gain my balance again. The other day in my daughters yard, I was standing on a hill facing down and lost it. Because of the hill, I could not just suffle a few steps backwards and I went down. I know your muscles have a lot to do with your balance. My right leg is atrophied so I know I have lost it there, but I am now wondering if my stomach muscles are going................ruby from vancouver

ruby ben said:
Hi all! John1 - where are your adductor muscles?
The Adductors originate on the pelvic bone and attach at intervals along the length of the femur. This interval attachment provides the most power and stability for the hip joint and the femur.

Reading your post felt like I had written it! From the tiptoe thing to falling backwards....you managed to describe my walkin to a 'T'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back