Balance issues with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeannie said:
Hi all, I have poor balance as I tend to walk tip toe, when I do fall I always fall backwards, never forwards.

Anyone else experience falling backwards ?

Jeannie xxx

Jeannie,
I could have been the one to write what u wrote! 2 a 'T' !

Balance

I don't feel unsteady on my feet as much as I and am off balance after a few steps and 'slow shuffle like a penguin in a snow storm' . I am reminded of the momma penquin who is walking back to the sea. I can get around my house with a walker and I have to use a wheel chair when I go out. I can walk a couple of minutes before my legs stiffen up and stop. I AM able to do the heal to toe walk. Isn't it crazy how we each experience the lights in our bodies dimming in different ways?

Balance

Jeannie, I also have a big problem falling backwards to. Have to be real careful when turning around, feet and legs just don't won't to go with me.

Hey guys,

It seems that losing balance is related to ALS, don't know if it is exactly because of muscles weakness because it was one of my first symptoms months before being diagnosed and at that time I was still strong and normal. So I used to lose my balance and fall backward when i am in a Z position on the floor fixing or picking something.
Now it is getting worse but I still manage to hold on to people, walls or stuff next to me avoiding falling on the floor. It is worse when I walk down the stairs and when the road inclines. My physiotherapist keeps on telling me to keep my confidence that my feet are supporting my body.

Omar

confirmation of legs not moving

That turnin around with the feet and legs not following is right on Bdyle! I was working at my desk one afternoon, pushed myself away from my desk, went to get up and fell flat on my face. My legs forgot to move.

The doctor at the ALS clinic has been talking with me and we're setting up another consultation. The last time she saw me she mentioned I have both upper and lower involvment now.

My left wrist is so weak I can hardly hold a pan with that hand anymore. Almost dropped a pan of the best rice cripsy squares over the weekend. Made with real butter. Anyone like squares....That would have been a bummer.

The fingers on my left hand are starting to curl toward my thumb and the fingers are so stiff now.

Gotta run!
Frizzel

Remnds me of the thread where MT (captain Al) fell on the kitchen floor and his wife walked in and asked him what was he doing and he said, "mopping the floor" so she said, "great!" and stepped over him on her way out the room. :lol: Cindy

Haha funny Cindy,

It also reminds me when one time we were in the kitchen and once my cousin turned off the light I felt completely on the floor behind him, so for seconds he thought that I vanished away
till he turned on the light again and find me down there, grrrrrrrr I felt directly on my chin ;)

Omar

The Dark

Omar,
What u said about the lights being shut & then u falling caught my attention>> I get extr. unbalanced in the dark/dim lighting...typical? anyone else experience this?

Balance And Confused In The Dark, Swelling

Yes, i HAVE BALANCE PROBLEMS , WHICH WAS ONE OF MY FIRST SYMPTONS. I SEEM TO FALL BACKWARDS MORE. WHEN PEOPLE HELP ME THEY TRY TO PUSH ME TO MOVE . I TELL THEM TO GIVE ME THE FREEDOM TO MOVE MY FEET AS I NEED TOO. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH EXTREME SWELLING? WHAT ABOUT THIGH AND HIP PAIN? :confused: JAN F

unbalanced in the dark

Yes, I feel much more unbalanced in the dark. Especially if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Everybody says pain is not associated with ALS. So my deep thigh pain makes me question if I could have something else. Also I get "shin splints" just walking the length of my driveway, and my feet get sore if I stand for half an hour. (Longer than that and my legs give out.) And any activity, baking, weeding, holding a book for a couple of hours, makes my hands sore and crampy.

Oh, plus my calves cramp and my neck spasms. And if I watch a funny movie or spend time with people I enjoy my face hurts from smiling. And chewing makes my jaw tired. But really, that's about it in the pain department. :)

Balance issues happen when I am tired. Then I walk like a person on a ship during rough seas.

Other than that, I have few complaints. :) LOL. Cindy

Jan -

My hips and thighs get sore. I think it is because they are overworked from compensating for my weakened right foot/ankle where some atrophy has set in. The more I've walked during the course of a day, the worse they feel and rest solves the problem.

As for balance, I can't even close my eyes when standing without starting to wobble. This is really only an issue in the shower when I've got a head full of shampoo to rinse so I just have to be super careful.

Liz

Cindy - we sound identical with symptoms. Unfortunately, two days ago I lost my balance while shopping with my mom. I looked really foolish, with my arms out as I went sideways like there was too much weight on my left side. But I caught myself! Last night I fell off my tall kitchen chair onto my left side. I hurt my knee, hip and left wrist, let out a wail so the kids came running and then I cried. The balance stuff just came on me this week and I think it's when I'm tired also. But, Cindy, everything you mentioned above is how I feel. The right side of my neck spasms so hard it feels like concrete! And Liz, I'm with you on the sore hips. When I lay down for sleep at night I can't lay on my side until they have rested and soreness goes away. Strange stuff. Leslie

Hey Cindy. Other than the neck spasms that sounds about where I was between 1 and 2 years ago. Hope I'm not scaring you.
AL.

I also have serious balance issues. I can no longer walk without my walker.
My neurologist says I also have ataxia. Has anybody had that? I am waiting for DNA results.
Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back