Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Mableton
My son has told me for the last 2 days that I have bad breath, does bulbar als cause any kind of bad breath? I brush my teeth and tongue and use mouth wash and he still says I have it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

I beleive it is related to protein breakdown as our muscles atrophy (similar to when people are starving and start breaking down portein when all the fat is gone).

I'm trying to research the subject.

I've heard that the body throws off ketones which smell if you are crash dieting. I don't recall whether muscle loss or fat loss causes it.
AL.

I don't know if bulbar sx does cause bad breath but I do know is that some medication can cause bad breath. Start there. If you are not eating alot you could have ketoacidosis which is a high concentration of ketones in your urine. You could brush all day long and it won't cure that. Some surgars will help with that. Fruits, like bananas, apples, ect. Even a little pudding. Foods high in protien will cause some ketoacidosis. Sugars will help offset that. Carbohydrates make sugar in the body ie; potatoes, pasta.
I hope this helps alittle.
Sincerely Pat

Rhonda said:
My son has told me for the last 2 days that I have bad breath, does bulbar als cause any kind of bad breath? I brush my teeth and tongue and use mouth wash and he still says I have it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rhonda
Rhonda, I have bulbar onset A.L.S. My wife says my breath is bad all the time. I to brush and use a mouth wash, that helps for a while. I am on a peg and she says my breath smells like the Jevity I take in the through the feeding tube. Just another wonderful part of having A.L.S. I guess. Bad breath is probably pretty far down on my list of concerns. Hope you are doing okay. Jim

Hi Jim,
I see you are a new member, welcome to the forum. I am doing good. The beautiful weather here in GA helps. How are you doing? How long have you had the feeding tube? Rhonda

Hi Jim. A lot of peoples breath smells actually do come from their stomach. Any chance you can find a minty or other fragrant drink to wash down the Jevity. It might help with the breath having something on top of it.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back