AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Bacteria and Fungi Link to ALS Patients

Doglady

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
Minnesota
https://alsnewstoday.com/2019/03/20/bacteria-fungi-central-nervous-system-als-patients/

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2019.00171/full

My daughter just forwarded this to me. Of course she would like to think this is hopeful. So, I am wondering what others may think about this study from Spain which found bacteria and fungi in neural tissue of PALS and suggestions of a possible future treatment for ALS...?

Thanks for any words of wisdom and thoughts to unravel all this highly scientific language!

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
Oregon
It’s really interesting. They are noting bacteria and fungi in the neural tissues of patients with ALS.

To jump from that observation to the conclusion that the bacteria and fungi caused the ALS is another matter which they have not yet proved. To prove it might involve using an animal model of ALS and instilling these microorganisms into the neural tissue and see if ALS results. Then determining if the ALS goes away upon treatment is another matter.

It’s also possible that something else causes the ALS and that the bacteria and fungi move in because conditions now favor their presence.

It’s interesting work, but still just an observation, with more work needed to answer the many other questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock