Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Does anyone know if oral Baclofen can be taken as needed or do you have to use it on a regular basis? It makes:evil: me go to lala land and I don't want to be "out of it" all the time.

Hi RooRoo,
My experience with Baclofen has been a gradual increase to my current (up to) 40 mg dosage/day. Yes, it does make you tired initially, but your body adjusts. Its a judgement call of the lesser of two evils: tired or stiff. The tired part gets better after your body adjusts.
Debbie

I hesitate to give any medication advice because only you know what your physician has suggested. Your pharmacist can be the easiest pro to ask about the drug's recommended dosages, frequencies and overall use if you don't have a quick response from your Dr.
With any drug I do recommend that you keep notes on a calendar on the extent of daily symptoms you started with and track how those specific symptoms increase or improve. Likewise, document any side effects you think you're having keeping in mind that withdrawal can be seriously discomforting or dangerous with many medications. I mention this because it can be very hard to know if a medication is helping at all let alone if the pros outweigh the cons—especially if you are considering taking any "as needed". It is important due to the difficulty of recalling months back and especially if your issue (spasticity?) is a moving target. If you stick with a set regiment for a trial period you would learn if it helps at all, to what extent, and find out how it effects your mind/mood.
Best of health to you.

Nope;
Not an as needed med

As dkcarl said......you need to take it regular.
Start on 10 mg and slowly work up to maintenance dose of 40mg and see how you go on that.
The tiredness does go away as you get used to it.
Some take higher dosage ....it really depends on each person as to how your body processes it and not how severe your spasticity is.
I have been on it 14yrs....went from 40mg to 70mg but now I can manage on good days 20-40mg .

Thank you, all. I love it when everyone agrees! I have tried taking 5 mg and it wipes me out. I have tried 2.5 mg and it does nothing. Think I'll give the .5 mg another shot everyday to see if I can get used to it! Maybe after Christmas!
Thanks everyone.

Roo Roo, I do agree with the wise folks above. At one time, I was on 80 mg of baclofen coupled with 2-4 mg of tizanidine per day......at 80 mg., I started to have partial focal seizures (and I had not history of seizures!). Now, I "only" take 60 mg/day (and wish it were none).

You will adjust; however, you must also be incredibly sensitive to meds -- 5 mg. is very low dose (although I must say that I wish I could get by with 5 mg).

Mike

I recommend building up your tolerance by taking it before bedtime. It helps me reduce leg cramping when I sleep. I built up a tolerance over many months. I take 20-30mg at night and 20-30mg during the day if I need it. I think my dr. said max per day is 60mg.

Some people have found that having a Baclofen pump inserted to put the Baclofen directly into the spinal fluid works well. By delivering small doses more frequently than than with pills, the effect is smoother. Being only in the spinal fluid and not being digested reduces the amount needed and the side effects. Search the forum and google for more on a Baclofen pump.

Take it as prescribed by your doctor, I tried to play with my dose and ended up a mess. I'm on 90 mg a day, just completed trials for the pump and they were successful. Can't wait!

Mike

Wow, I love reading all your helpful info. My brother was given a script for this today. We are very hopeful it will ease his stiff legs and very sore pain filled shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back