Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
Those of you that have followed the threads of some of my adventures know how much I enjoy being outdoors.

Last year on our trips to Yellowstone we were able to make it to a backcountry campsite in my wheelchair. This is an accessible campsite on Ice Lake between Norris and Canyon in Yellowstone National Park. We did not spend the night there, as we had neither equipment nor reservations. But, the thought of backpacking has stayed with me since then.

I did a bit of investigating and decided to apply for reservations for that campsite this spring. The reservations are first come first serve, and I have not yet heard back as to whether I was able to secure the campsite.

I made the reservations for the first part of June, when the snow and down timber are likely to be problematic.

At this point, I would guess the chances of this working out are about 20%. But, I figured if we did not try our chances would be 0%:)

The trail to the campsite is only 1/2 mile long and is a bit of an adventure in the wheelchair. I will have to make it onto the ground (easy) and into the tent at night. The next morning I will have to make it out of the tent and back to the wheelchair (a bit more of a problem but something I can still do today).

I am trying to figure out how to reconfigure one of my backpacking backpacks to fit onto my wheelchair. If I can't figure that out, my wife will have to carry most of the gear, probably in multiple trips. I don't know how she ever puts up with me.

So, here's to hoping for a fast melt-off of the snow, early clearing of the trail by the trail crew, and successfully obtaining the reservations!

I attached some pictures from our attempts to reach the campsite last year. The first shows the trail blocked by downed timber in May. The second shows the trail further in during our successful September attempt. The third shows the lake, which is about 100 yards from the campsite, again in September.

Steve

Attachments

• 20150519_155121.jpg
    20150519_155121.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 335
  • 2015_09_12_YelNP_02421.jpg
    2015_09_12_YelNP_02421.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 366
  • 2015_09_12_YelNP_02411.jpg
    2015_09_12_YelNP_02411.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
Steve, you're an inspiration. I seem to recall my wife and I did that trail a few years ago in June, so chances are not bad the trail could be passable by then. Hope you get the campsite and a clear trail... will want to see more pics!

Steve the pics are wonderful. My Steve and I would camp almost every weekend in the summer when we lived in Oregon. I so miss it. I am so inspired by your post. I hope you get the campsite and the clear trail. I just know we will be seeing pics in June.

Thanks for the encouragement. There are certainly days I need it!

They start processing the campsite reservations on the April 1st. I hopefully will know if I was successful in getting the campsite shortly after that.

I am so looking forward to our trip to Yellowstone, even if we are not successful in getting the reservation for the backcountry campsite.

Steve

Fingers crossed Steve you get the campsite. It sounds awesome!

I see three adaptations for your wheelchair to solve all problems Steve.

1. Chains for the wheels to get through any snow

2. A chainsaw mounted at one front side to clear timber

3. A rack on the back of the chair to hold your backpack.

Simple? :twisted:

Carabiners off the back metal ? There are some that are quite large. .Bungee chords maybe? I dont know enough about your chair backside to help much.

P.s. You have to plan things that make you happy. It is the one way to get enjoyment from life :)

Steve, I wish you well with your adventures! Your desire to keep moving outdoors and continue with what you love is inspiriing! I hope you get the campsite and are able to access the trails. Hiking has always been one our favorite outdoor activities. I know of a few companies that make custom snow chains for snowblowers, cars, carts, etc. Maybe they could make something for wheelchairs, who knows.....?

After reading Tillie's suggestions I had the thought that sometime in June we'll be watching the Old Faithful webcam and see a guy in a wheelchair with a front mounted chainsaw, ala Mad Max: Fury Road go rolling down the boardwalk... go Steve go.

Alas, it is not legal to use chainsaws in the park:)

I guess I will have to figure out a better alternative.

But, if you watch the Old Faithful webcam, you might indeed see a wheelchair on the boardwalk;)

Steve

No chainsaws, you just need an atomiser ray gun then to dissolve any big tree trunks laying across the path - actually that's a far more elegant solution than the chainsaw :lol:

I received a wonderful email from Yellowstone today.

They started processing requests for backcountry campsite reservations at the beginning of April. They notified me today that my reservation was accepted (apparently there are not too many people crazy enough to request the handicap accessible campsite the day after trail crews start working for the season;)).

There are still quite a few things that could prevent us from attempting the backcountry trip, but one hurdle has been overcome!

Steve

That's wonderful news! What a lovely thing to look forward to. I hope to make it to Yellowstone again- it felt like it was a place apart from the world. Absolutely magical.

Steve, do a web search for "caterpillar wheelchair"; perhaps you could rent one of those, assuming they are allowed on the trails.

Janis, the tracked wheelchairs look wonderful. Unfortunately, they have a few limitations for me:

1. The US federal law that allows wheelchairs to be treated as pedestrians only applies to power wheelchairs that have 4 wheels and are suitable for indoor use. So, all the track chairs are prohibited on trails in the national parks.
2. All the track chairs I have investigated are very large. They are so wide that they will not fit on our van's wheelchair lift, through most doorways, etc. There are places on the trail we will be using that are a bit narrow, so I think the track chairs would be too wide to make it to the campsite.

I made it to the backcountry campsite in my primary wheelchair last fall without too much trouble, though I failed when I tried it last spring. I will be taking my X4 four wheel drive wheelchair with me in June. If the trail is at all passable it should be able to handle it just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to try out one of the track chairs to see how they ride.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back