Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Is it possible to add a back up camera or mirror to a PWC to see if a dog or cat has decided to be right behind your chair while you were going forward or stopped somewhere? I’ve got some little dogs that like to follow me around right behind my chair. Scary!!!

I’ve wondered the same. When I used to bicycle, I had a little mirror that I stuck to the left side of my helmet. There are also small mirrors that can be attached to eyeglasses. You could probably find one through a site that sells bike mirrors, like REI. I usually wear a hat when I go out, so I’ve thought about attaching one to the brim of my hat. Duct tape works great. 😄

I have even suggested to the power chair people there needs to be one!

What a great idea, Karen! Yes I found an eyeglass one on REI and it’s also available on Amazon. I’m going to give it a try.

It would be very nice if this became a feature for future PWCs. I hope they are listening, Deb.

Don't think they really did.

When my pALS got his electric wheelchair he ordered one of the small rowing or biking mirrors and that was not too helpful for him to judge distances or obstacles behind him. What he ended up using was an old cell phone w. camera that would work on the wifi.
He downloaded a software called 'WardenCam' onto the phone and his tablet. I think he paid a bit to get rid of the advertisements. He had the tablet with him all the time anyways - on a small tray on his knees. He then asked me to mount the cell phone on the back of his wheelchair so that he could see the area behind him. He used it for a few days and it worked quite well once the phone was in a good position. Afterwards he was able to guess the distances when turning and going backwards and he did not use it any longer.
No pets involved :) Though my dog would have figured it out - he is a bit paranoid. The wheelchair clicked before it started moving - I think it had something to do w. activating the controls or switching it on again.

There is a group of Harvard grad students working on a product called Loro. I'm not sure how far it is from availability and it's not perfect, but at least they're working on it.

Well, maybe I’m just not that smart but the bicycle rear view mirror didn’t work out too well. I wasn’t able to adjust it to see the floor behind my chair where a dog might be. Seemed to work a little looking straight behind me but even so the headrest was kind of in the way. I’ve been trying to avoid backing up when ever possible and doing it super slowly when I do. No accidents lately!

Well, maybe I’m just not that smart but the bicycle rear view mirror didn’t work out too well. I wasn’t able to adjust it to see the floor behind my chair where a dog might be. Seemed to work a little looking straight behind me but even so the headrest was kind of in the way. I’ve been trying to avoid backing up when ever possible and doing it super slowly when I do. No accidents lately!
Sorry it didn’t work out. I think it would if you were riding on the street or on a bike path and wanted to look out for traffic coming up behind you.

Oh, yes. I’m sure it would work better on a bike path just to see what’s behind you. And especially if you were riding a bike. I’m sure it’s good for what it was designed for.

Thanks for letting us know - but sorry it didn't do exactly what you needed.

Aware-A2 Backup Camera for Scooters and Power Wheelchairs. It's on Amazon and a review specifically mentions knowing where dogs are.

Thanks, Kim. I looked it up - just trying to figure out where I’d mount the monitor. 🤓

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back