Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
I love my Roho seat cushion on my PWC but the seat back is relatively hard and increasingly rough on my spine. I'm concerned that I am developing the beginning of pressure sores on a few spots. Short of replacing the whole seat back, can anyone recommend a thin gel pad that I can put behind my back? It can't be thick or it will throw off the alignment of my neck and head controls.

Thanks,

Try searching the web or Amazon for 'purple seat cushions'. They sell back supports as well as cushions.

Are you using a Roho back or what kind?

Laurie, the back is not Roho. I'll see if I can figure out what it is.

You might want to try a Roho back cushion. Your doctor can write a prescription to have it covered by insurance.

In my experience the requisition process takes months. I was hoping for a quicker solution, if one exists.

It may be hard to find a gel solution that does not interfere with back support, but I would look at the smaller gel pads made by Action Products (larger ones can be cut to size, also). You would probably need to strap it to your chair so it wouldn't fall. I think you could staple or tape straps on -- the gel is pretty robust, which is why I like those. But strapping and the pad itself creates pressure as well. You really want a back cushion that cradles your back, and nothing else between you and your body, just like with your seat cushion.

To have an extra layer over the smallest possible surface area, another idea is to cut/shape/tape on something like a gel heel or elbow protector, but that too creates pressure.

Also, you can take off the back cushion and replace it with another in some cases, if it's velcroed on. Depending on what back you have, this may or may not require your DME to order. Obviously either way paying cash expedites things.

I would also make sure you shift tilt/recline position frequently if you're feeling undue pressure, and double-check your headrest and footrest height/angles to make sure that is not the problem relative to your back pressure.

If the pressure is worse when moving, I would also look at your tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back