Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
We arrived home yesterday late afternoon after a wonderful but exhausting trip to Yellowstone. It is certainly HARD traveling with a PALS, even one who can transfer easily and walk a little with a walker! I learned a lot from this experience...it is much easier if I can book several days in one place to avoid having to lug all of the equipment in and out of rooms; ADA rooms are highly variable (Yellowstone was great but Grand Teton had a bathtub with a grab bar - not helpful!). I sure wish my PALS was a little less in denial and would have let me get a handicapped placard and a power chair or scooter. As it was, I pushed him in a transport chair throughout the park, even dragging him on dirt surfaces to get him to a picnic table or to various sights. I also spent much of my time assisting him with toilets (also variable - a toilet marked with a handicap sign required transiting up a curb...seriously?) and in and out of the car. I was able to do a few small paintings while we were there while my PALS sat patiently having a picnic, but had to rush him to the car at one site when it started to hail. I also had a stupid fall at Grand Teton - missed a step and fell flat out onto the asphalt in a parking lot, injuring my hand. That made it much more challenging with the push chair but luckily I did that on the last day.

At any rate I'm so thankful that we were able to do this trip together. My PALS had never been to Yellowstone and had a wonderful experience despite my couple of meltdowns. The delight in his face as we watched Old Faithful together was priceless. We saw literally hundreds of bison, but only a few elk in Yellowstone. In Grand Teton we saw a moose and her calf, along with quite a few more elk. He was on the bipap a lot of the time; he seems to need more breathing support these days, and I'm not sure what to make of that.

I will share photos on Stories of Hope when I get a chance to go through them. For now catching up...and thankful that his caregiver is here today. I have to admit I was thrilled to see her!

V

So glad you both got joy out of the trip, V. Persevering through all the logistics and physical labor is a gift to yourself, for after, as well as to him. Take care of your hand. Can't wait to see pics.

I am thrilled that you were able to make the trip and see both Yellowstone and the Tetons. As you know, they are special places for me!

It is great that you got to see buffalo in large numbers as well as elk and moose. All are fascinating creatures.

Steve

this is such fantastic news - you have done something totally huge by giving both of you this experience together. can't wait for more in stories of hope!

Wow, V, you are amazing! I hope your hand gets better quickly.

Looking forward to pictures.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back