Not open for further replies.

Kristin01

Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Hi. I posted on here last week how I began to have twitching everywhere and was concerned about ALS. I had my neuro visit yesterday and he highly doubted it. He checked all my reflexes and all was normal. He didn't really do a full on exam because I had seen him 3 weeks prior with tingling issues and he did it then. Anyways, I had mentioned to him that I had been trying to exercise more, but the last few days, my left knee has kind of given out on me while walking. He seemed no not even flinch. I thought that knee buckling was a classic sign of weakness and it has happened 3 times in 3 days. There is no pain involved. For instance, last night I went jogging with my daughter in the jogger stroller and right after I stopped, my left knee buckled. I didn't fall, but I was definitely aware of it happening. Anyways, I told him I wanted an EMG and he said that he thought I was chasing up the wrong tree, but that if it would put my mind at ease, he'd order one. He told me that he was pretty sure all would come back normal. He did not that my left leg was 1 1/2 cm. smaller than my left leg, but told me it had probably always been this way. I know my neuro is not concerned, but I know from talking to him that a major reason for this is because I'm only 25 and he said it is so rare in my age group. I do believe what he's saying, however, from searching around on this forum, there are some people whose only symptom at first was knee buckling. Unfortunately, I can't get in for my EMG for 2 more weeks. Do you think my knee giving out is clinical weakness? On a side note, my twitching has greatly subsided. I barely had any twitching at all yesterday. Thank you for your time.

HI Kristin,

I first want to say that I dont think you have als. But, before I had any twitching or real weakness that I was aware of, MY right knee was buckling. It happen alot for a few weeks and has not happen since. that was back in Jan or dec, I dont rember, I never thought to think about the things that were happening to me.
I now have twitches in that leg and muscle thinning around knee and thigh and ankle. I dont have DX, so this I am not sure what it means. MY knee also ached like arthritis, I thought that is what it was from. I still have bad aches and pains, so who know.

I wish you luck at your emg and I am sure that it will give you peace of mind.

take care!

april

My opinion for what it's worth is that you should see an Ortho Doc for the knee, not a Neuro. Joggers get that all the time.

AL.

Al

Thank you for responding. However, my knee doesn't hurt at all and I would think that if it was an injury, there would be pain associated with it. It also didn't start until after my muscles started twitching everywhere a few weeks ago, although that has improved greatly. Do you think the twitching could be associated with the weakness in my knee. I feel like my neuro didn't think a second thing about it because I'm only 25. Once again, thank you for your opinion.

hi Kristin,

I would think that if this is your only symptom (the knee with twitching), then try to relax and see what happens. I know that this is not easy (i have a hard time with it). but give it time. They say the 3 month rule
plus, your reflexes are normal-that is good, and you CAN jog. Alot of us on here can not do the the strenous things that we once could.

I wish you the best.

april

yo what's up

Hi Kristin:

i think an EMG is a good idea and isn't great that you gotta beg your nuero to get one !?

i live in SD and know a good one if you are interested.

peace out,

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back