Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
For the last couple of weeks I've had really bad lower back and neck pain. Before I got my diagnosis, my Mri showed multiple disc bulges and some stenosis. Would I be correct in assuming that this is probably due to muscle wasting in the back and neck and therefore allowing the discs to maybe protrude even more? Driving is becoming very painful as my lower back spasms and my neck hurts from holding the steering wheel. I got my PCP to prescribe baclofen for the spasms but so far it has no effect.

Vince

Yes neck and shoulder pain is awful, my neck muscles have died so my head leans forward. I finally got a shot of a steroid in my neck, that has helped tremendously, but you have to be careful not to injure the muscle, it wont heal.
you should also think about driving. To have my car taken away was one of the most painful things, but if you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out you knew you had ALS, they wont cover you.

Steve had arthritis in his neck with stenosis and disk herniation. He had that for 20+ years before his diagnosis. Since he was respiratory onset it wasn't a surprise the neck, abdominal, and chest muscles were his first to show atrophy.

Blue&Gold, I have too have degenerative changes in my lumbar spine, but according to my neuros and neurosurgeon, my pain is a result of fat infiltration due to denervation of my lumbar paraspinals. They've showed it to me on MRI. On cross section the mid-region looks like a rib-eye steak. The lower region looks like white fat. Yuk. According to them, my pain comes from the resulting instability. Perhaps that's a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back