Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
raleigh
I have read about it but dont fully understand it. Can only a doctor perform it? Is it something i can check myself or get my husband to? is it hard to do yourself. I have read how its done but they never really explained where to do it at on your foot. I know they say heel to toe but where? in the middle on the side or on the outside? How many times do you do it to one foot and whats a normal result? Please let me know if you can and also I have had a brain mri about 3 months ago, which came back good, is that a good indcatier that i dont have als or does that have nothing to do with als? Thanks

Ashley

Hi Ashley - the Babinski sign is performed on the bottom of the foot. The doctor takes a sharp object, for me the handle side of his hammer, and firmly runs it from the heel to the toes on the bottom of the foot. The toes should remain in normal position. Pointing up or down is a positive Babinski.

MRI is only used to rule out other illnesses for the cause of symptoms. Whatever you do, don't get what I have titled "research anxiety"! Twitching can be meaningless and can disappear in a matter of months. Hang in there. Leslie

Babinski

Positive babinski is big toe going upward.

if your big toe goes down, it's normal.

No reaction is no reaction from what i know, which is neither good or bad.

An MRI is not really a specific indicator of ALS, it's more to rule out other issues, like MS. MRI's are usually normal in ALS in early stages.

Lelise, what day is your biopsy?

Hi Jamie - glad to see you here today! Sorry I messed up the Babinski, it is definitely an upward toe! I am having a hard time cognitively lately and that really is scary for me. Remembering words and just plain thinking is work.

My biopsy is the 6th and I have a great feeling that this will give me a diagnosis. I'm sure yours will too! Leslie

The plantar reflex (Babinski) is tested by coarsely running a key or the end of the reflex hammer up the lateral aspect of the foot from heel to big toe. The normal reflex is toe flexion. If the toes extend and separate, this is an abnormal finding called a positive Babinski's sign.

A positive Babinski's sign is indicative of an upper motor neuron lesion affecting the lower extremity in question.

In semi technical terms.
AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back