CALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Huntingdon
Hi Everyone,
I was hoping you might be able to help with the results of some bloodwork and knowing if the results are good or bad as relates to ALS. My dad just under went some bloodwork as the first step in a possible ALS diagnosis by a neurologist. The two tests I know for sure that he had done were a Vitamin B12 and a CPK test. To make a long story short, the lab messed up the test by not taking enough vials of blood. So, my dad had to go in yesterday to finish off the test as well as have his blood thinner levels checked. The nurse from the GP's office called today with his blood thinner levels, and I hit her up to see what blood tests the neuro had ordered. The only two she had were the ones I mentioned above. There is a possibility they haven't gotten back the results for any of the ones that were drawn yesterday and ordered by the neuro. She told me my dad's CPK level was excellent and that the B12 was very good as well. I've looked both tests up on the internet, but am unsure where that puts us as relates to ALS. We do go back to the neurologist at the end of the month to go over the blood work, but the waiting and not fully understanding is so hard. If anyone can offer any insight before hand, I would be much appreciative. I did notice that the B12 test was recommended with fasting on the internet. My dad did not fast, in fact he had just eaten breakfast. I asked the doctor if we could have the blood work done while we were in the hospital that day, and he said it was fine. He never mentioned fasting. Anyone know more about that? I will ask the doctor about it if I need to. Thanks for your thoughts.

HI
I WORKED IN A LAB
ANYTIME A B12 WAS TAKEN WAS TO LOOK FOR LOW B12 WHICH CAN MIMIC ALS AND A EASY FIX WITH B12 SHOTS
CPK IF HIGH, SHOWS MUSCLE DAMAGE OR LOSS
SO IF THEY ARE GOOD THE DOCTOR WILL LOOK FOR OTHER DX.

hOPE THAT HELPED
PAT1

Hi Patricia, i have another question about those tests.... I had a cpk test done lots of time and mine is actually low..... Real low.... That was half a year ago..... The neurologist was looking for the usual and when i went back to my GP she ordered one just cause, along with an immunglobin test and aids test....... I keep getting dry mouth and eventually thrush so she thought for sure i had something wrong with my immune system but i am as clean as a whistle............ The only abnormal one was the low CPK, i think she was checing it because she knew i used to have bad muscle spasms..... The only thing i find on low cpk is from muscle wasting due to alcholism. I drink very rarely... The low finding was never discussed..... I wonder if it is different now because since i stopped working with kids i have not been sick once. I was sick for four years straight with reactivated epsteinn barr, strep throat, conjuctivitis, chest infections...... This is why i was sent on the immunology path first.... They are the ones who sent me on the neurology path after noting spasticity reflexes twitches and muscle wasting...... Anyways maybe you know more about a low CPK value.... thanks Sam

Sam Normal CPK is 30-160 maybe yours was in the 30s and thats what he meant.
Cpk is usual for checking for heart attacks and muscle damage and then the CPK is high
I dont know of anything if its low
Sorry
Pat 1

Thank you!

Hi Pat,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! The information you gave was exactly what I was looking for. It helps to ease my mind a little in the weeks between now and when we meet with the neuro again. Since receiving the possible diagnosis for my dad, the waiting has been awful. I've run the course of emotions as one would expect. I've been in states of denial just knowing the doctor is wrong, and on the flip side I've been making plans in my head and wondering if I can make my home handicap accessible to have my dad move in with us and how my husband and I will provide full time care with full time jobs. Dad and I have been through so much in the past six months with his health, but this is the scariest thing we've ever been confronted with. It sure gives a new appreciation for ALS and what it means to those living with the disease and those who provide their care. At one point, doctors were sure my dad had bone cancer from some CT scans of his brain. While that was scary too, at least there was hope that the cancer could be treated. My dad and I are still in the early stages of this whole process, so obviously we'll keep up with the appointments and tests and see where this goes. Thank you so much again for your input.
Deb

No the lab report showed the number to be 23 i think with a L next to it... The range was beside it and it was denitely lower than the range.. Very odd............. Thanks Patricia..

No the lab report showed the number to be 23 i think with a L next to it... The range was beside it and it was denitely lower than the range.. Very odd............. Thanks Patricia..

I just had a CPK test and mine was 20. I was put on Prvastatitin 2 weeks ago, only change in my meds. They only say high is bad -- does anyone know what low means? Mine was 137 in range before i started on statins.
thanks,
sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back