Lost a loved one
Country
SWE
State
n/a
City
Kalmar
Article from Beckley Foundation website

Scientists find that Ayahuasca stimulates neurogenesis - the birth of new brain cells – latest findings from the Sant Pau Research Programme

Our collaborator Dr Jordi Riba presented these ground-breaking results at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelics Research last week in Amsterdam. The results are, as yet, unpublished but you can have a sneak peak at the slides from Jordi Riba’s presentation here.

The study was conducted within the framework of the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme and in collaboration with the Spanish National Research Council. In the study participated the following researchers from the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC): Jose Morales-García, María Isabel Rodriguez-Franco, Ana Pérez-Castillo and Mario de la Fuente Revenga. They found that harmine and tetrahydroharmine, the alkaloids present in highest amounts in ayahuasca, stimulate the growth and maturation of neurons and promote their birth from the stem cells.

For a long time, a dogma has persisted that no new neurons are born in the brains of adults. Since the late 1990’s, this dated paradigm has been challenged by experimental evidence. The birth of new neurons, known as neurogenesis, occurs in two brain areas: around the ventricles and in a region of the hippocampus. The hippocampus plays a key role in important cognitive tasks such as learning and memory. Its function declines with the normal aging process, but does so much more dramatically in the presence of certain devastating neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

This is the first study ever conducted that demonstrates that components of the Ayahuasca brew have potent neurogenic properties. Although the results are preliminary, they show that the addition of harmine and tetrahydroharmine to cell cultures containing neural stem cells dramatically increased their differentiation, and their maturation into neurons.

We are currently conducting additional experiments to discern the magnitude of the observed effects, as well as undertaking studies on live animals.

The replication of the present findings in vivo would open a totally new avenue of research for ayahuasca and its active principles. Potential applications would range from treating neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders, to redressing brain damage associated with stroke or trauma.

By Amanda Feilding
Director of the Beckley Foundation and Co-director with Jordi Riba, of the Beckley/Sant Pau Research Programme
16th June 2016

Discussion:

Could this be applicable to ALS research?

I sorta got hung up at this point:
Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelics Research​

I sorta got hung up at this point:
Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelics Research​

Then perhaps you should ask yourself why it is that such a word triggers that emotion in you. Psychedelics does not have to equal all the negative things that some people have come to associate them with. It's not the 1950's anymore (thank god). Remember how cannabis was once stigmatized? Today more and more ALS patients (and others) benefit from cannabis medicinal aspects. Science advance, and the world makes progression. We can either take note, or remain unaccepting to new facts and possibilities.

Gee.
And I didn't even have to lay on the couch. How can I repay you for the psychiatric insight?

You're a newbie and unaware that I am an advocate for mmj.

So I'll let your irritating and unwarranted condescension pass with minimal comment.

Not sure I would want to trade in my ALS for brain tumors. (Only half joking.) Any research done on the effects of direct harmine and tetrahydroharm on stem cells? Makes me think of old horror movies about radiation and Godzilla. Or maybe thalidamide and limbless babies. Then again, LSD caused paranoia, not brain tumors.

It's serious stuff, and all this says is some of the ingredients may foster neuronal growth -- DK what kind of neurons, what they are able to do and how long they might last. So I wouldn't book to Peru just yet.

Of course it is well worth noting that the OP has a vested interest in this product ....
Click on the name in this thread and choose to view his homepage.

Also doing a search of the OP's past posts, the whole reason for being here is to try to flaunt his products. Me thinks this is not what we are about, especially since the products have no proof of value.

Hellspawn, r u selling this stuff?

GregK:

Never intended to come off being disrespectful. I am also a MMJ proponent but we are far behind in Sweden on this issue so the wheels turn a bit slowly.

Diane H:

Not allowed to post links here but try googling "Harmine stimulates neurogenesis of human neural cells in vitro". (Effects of harmine
in cell cultures containing human neural progenitor cells derived from pluripotent stem cells) Refers to same piece posted I believe, stem cells being briefly mentioned. That's as close to anything stem cell related it gets for now.

lgelb:

Indeed it's serious stuff, as is all other medicine whether it's pharmaceutical or natural. They all need to be approached responsibly. That's why PALS who use it consume minute amounts way below the infamous so called "psychedelic" levels. And most PALS do not travel to Peru, but prepare the tea and do sessions at home while resting in bed, supervised by their family members or caregivers. By choice, some progress dosages gradually until reaching a point they are able to handle and are comfortable with, depending prior results experienced and percieved symptom relief.

affected:

No flaunting. No product. Of course I have an interest in this topic, that's no different from being an MMJ proponent and posting news about MMJ research (even if initial and inconclusive).
Ayahuasca is not a brand product, it's loose plant material sold by weight or in bulk by hundreds of independent ethnotbotanical online vendors across the world. It even grows wild locally for some people to harvest from, and it can be grown from seeds for free in a simple garden if living in a semi-tropical climate (although the plants take a few years to mature).

Since you did bother to visit my website(?) I'll admit that I'm somewhat curious as to what you thought of my article. I suppose I don't quite expect glory or gratification but was it at least slightly interesting at all?

patoyeah:

No I do not. All participant PALS obtain the material themselves from whereever they prefer, just like they would with regular tea or a common supplement like ginseng. I do not promote any particular vendor, but I do always recommend purchasing from ones with a serious approach and concern for the environment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info,

pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back