Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Would like your thoughts on the 2 t-shirts I designed online.

I have designed these shirts due to the fact that my husband has been facing increasing disdain from people "on the street." His speech has deteriorated and some will downright ignore him when he speaks. It exhausts him to keep repeating himself.

I have tried to raise awareness in our town by thanking those that are patient and understanding. Later I send them a hand written thank you and explain ALS. I don't care who it is - a clerk or a store owner.

The last straw was yesterday when he was to pick up a dog from the pound for my son. He went there at the appointed time with the money order and the paperwork and they had shipped the dog off to a rescue group. It frustrated him to no end and he became angry and started drooling. He had to leave. People just will not be patient and frankly could care less.

He has been wearing a button that was created by another pALS from PLM (SmoothS) that says "I speak with an ALS accent" "Ask me about Lou Gehrig's Disease." But nobody takes time to read it and if they do they don't understand.

So...I've decided to make these t-shirts for when he wants to go to town. Perhaps the graphics will catch people's eyes and they will think before dismissing him outright!

The white t-shirt has a dancing skeleton catching a baseball that's on fire. The red one is a baseball skull. they both say on the front "Lou Gehrig's" "Google It." On the back is a baseball with wings "Cure ALS."

I'm going to design a few more for him, myself and family maybe as Christmas gifts. Is this morbid or what?

I think its a great idea :mrgreen:
I would buy one
A suggestion: I think people would relate better with the ball player. then the skeletin and a brain.

either way I like it
Pat

Thanks!

I guess I didn't get my point across.

Most of the people you deal with while shopping, etc. are young. I thought this would be a way of sparking the minds of computer literate people. They might be curious.

The skeleton is catching a baseball that's on fire. The skull is a baseball/skull. Sorry the truth is the truth.

My husband may survive for a very long time if he chooses to trach. In the meantime I will do everything I can to promote awareness on the street.

You have an awesome attitude! I love the t-shirts. All teenagers know the word google! Great designs. KR

I like them myself but then most of you know I'm a bit off anyway.

AL.

CJ-

I love the shirts! That's a great idea....You might want to add the word Disease to the Lou Gehigg's.

The Tshirts are a great idea. I most certainly would buy one. Public awareness is the word.

Well I will admit Al, I do have a different take on things than others. Guess that makes me a bit off too!

I've ordered the white t-shirt.

It just bothers me immensely that after all these years there is no cure and NOBODY knows what Lou Gehrig's or ALS is, and quite frankly they could care less.

We've got to grab people's attention!

Furthermore, unless you've gone thru the agony of trying to be understood and the pain of trying to repeat yourself, I just don't think you can get it! It kills me to see the look on people's faces when my husband tries to communicate with them.

Yes I was thinking the same thing If I wear the shirt and people ask me questions and when I answer they wont understand me. and I try to avoid talking as much as I can, so Ill make my family wear them LOL

Pat

You have a great idea!

Jimmercat,

Run with this idea and creat the awareness of ALS. None of us know what this disease is all about until it hits home, than, we personally become very much aware of this devasting disease. It is a thief to all of us.

It robs us of our loved one' life, our marriage life, our families lives. I agree there should be a cure by now and perhaps these shirts will help create awareness, as well as, others beome more involved in a cure today.

The ALS Association may like to know about this idea too! What a great idea!

Hugs,
Caroliney

You know there is a brand new forum/group forming that is devoted to raising public awareness of ALS. They're looking for creative people with ideas ... and this T-shirt is perfect !

It's just starting up and we're trying to get PALS and CALS and everybody touched by ALS to help get the word out. We need ideas and members. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmercat,
love the shirts, I was thinking about the dog, what about a service dog? then people would know we have a DISABILITY and that would help with people's ignorance. I know a normal run of the mill dog can become a service dog very easy, any dog can become a service dog.

BethU,

I posted to the new site. thank you. I didn't really know how I could contribute, but I am a little creative, although some may not like my line of thinking! :twisted:

Hi CJ,
What a super creative way of raising awareness! Great idea :)

One of my best friends has a son who had a "brain event" (he was only 2 when "it" happened, and no there is no diagnosis for him). He's now 8, and lives in a semi-vegetative state, but at home with his family. My friend was so sick / angry / frustrated with people staring at him when out in public, she made t-shirts for both of them. On hers the front said "STOP STARING" and the back said "If you want to know what's wrong with him ASK ME." His shirt said, "Look at my Mom!" Cute, and poignant too.

I also remember a few years ago a man walked into my office to apply for a job. He smiled and immediately handed me a business card of sorts. (I'll paraphrase because I can't remember exactly what it said) Something like, "I am not developmentally disabled, but have had a stroke. Please bear with me when we begin speaking." It then had his name, and I think some other info. This might be a decent idea as well for your husband. When he's about to engage someone, and doesn't have his t-shirt on, he can hand them a business card. Just a thought!

As an aside, and I am not diagnosed, but when I have brought up ALS in discussions with any of my friends or family I am utterly amazed that quite literally NO ONE knew exactly what ALS is. When calling it Lou Gehrig's Disease, it would then sound familiar, but still no one knew any details except that it was not good. Unreal.

Take care, and your idea is wonderful! :)
Suzann

Great ... I love your ideas. Getting attention is the first step!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back