Status
Not open for further replies.
T shirts and cards

Hello;

Every year the ALS Society in Canada hold walks in cities across the country to raise money for research and support. This year I had buttons made up for my team and to give out to anyone who supported us. The buttons had the name of my team and "Walkforals.ca" on them. I wear the button on all of my coats and am asked about it all of the time. I also have made up a business card with my name, address, phone number and email address on one side and on the other side the message:

My speech is slurred, or I am unable to speak, because I have ALS (or Lou Gehrig's Disease). I can hear and understand you. You can help by giving me extra time to talk, telling me when you don't understand me, and talking to me like you would talk to anybody.

I got this message from Kerry Adams, the Speech Language Pathologist, at the Universuity of Alberta ALS Clinc and I find the card very useful. I carry a couple with me to give out or at least to show to people before I start talking to them. I also have a Palmtop3/Dynavox that I carry to talk to people.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes more people aware, whether it's T-shirts, buttons, cards, ball caps or bumper stickers is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back