Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Dc
City
Washington
Up front i thank anyone who patiently reads emails like mine. I had breast cancer(5 years cancer free double mastectomy) and remember looking for help and generous folks pitched in and provided support. So thank you.

I have been avoiding a diagnosis and could use some advice. I will explain but want to put my question up front: what are the benefits of a diagnosis? I.e. do medications exist that might prevent progression or is it better to wait until things are really really bad?

I am 52, female, normal weight. Had some challenges with breast cancer and a bad fall (broke 2 vertebrae followed by aspiration pneumonia). I have epilepsy but it is well controlled. Overall I still think of myself as the runner and biker I was in my 20's. my Dad is 76 and still flies an airplane so I expect to be healthy

BUT. Since 2007 I have had numerous neurological symptoms with zillions of diagnoses. Only now my daily functioning is compromised and I need support. I cannot do my laundry as it requires stairs. I am falling.

Previous diagnoses over the years - for leg pain -RLS, for overall pain, fibromyalgia; for tingling carpal tunnel; for bac pain, muscle spasms. And so on..

But the overall leg weakness is now debilitating. Low oxygen fatigue falling (ankle instability one doc said)

My internist ran some tests - MRI of my spine. Negative

I have severe hyperreflexia and other signs. She wants me to see a neuro. My brother has MS. I KNOW I don't have ALS and don't think I haveMS.

Just scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back