Diagnosis
11/1985
Country
US
State
IN
City
Fort Wayne
All the rear-mounted joysticks I have seen are not well designed. The control window is in front of the joystick, leaving no support for the attendant's hand. They have to navigate while walking and that is difficult to do without support for their hand, much less for their forearm. It requires much more practice than a joystick on the armrest and my occasional helpers are afraid of it! I would have thought that the controls could be programmed in reverse (forward switched to backward, left to right, etc.) to allow the attendant's joystick to be turned around and mounted with the control screen under the hand to steady it. Has anyone been able to do this?

I don't know who has done it, but I know for sure it can be done. Not every DME branch has a wizard on the controller, but there is someone qualified in most major metro areas.

They have to navigate while walking and that is difficult to do without support for their hand, much less for their forearm.

Our Permobil M3 (May, 2019 delivery) came with a platform/hand rest for the attendant, when using the joystick. Please see pic below;

Ken

Attendant-Joystick.jpg

DH's does not have a hand rest, but when the the DME moved it from the arm to the back, he was able to program it so it was easier to work from the back.

I always use the rear (behind the backrest) controller when moving Darcey. It is particularly helpful when getting her to back into the van. I honestly don't know that it would be possible to get her into the van if I had to control the chair from the front controller. Gina, our home health helper, refuses to learn to use the back controller. Instead, she prefers to use the side for everything... especially "driving". Neither controller has a hand rest, but the rear controller has a wrap-around bar as would be used if you were in "manual" (non-powered) mode. I've never been concerned with the lack of a hand rest.

Always good to hear from you, Diane!

My best...

Jim

My husband's PWC never had a rear controller, I never knew they existed, I used the front one walking backwards. But I did have the opportunity to try one when trying to help out a local PALS/CALS couple and literally could NOT control the wheelchair! It didn't have any arm or hand rest but it was the sensitivity and speed that was way out of control and recommended that they have Numotion adjust it. Is it possible that that could be part of the problem Diane?

We had the speed and sensitivity adjusted after we moved the joystick to the rear. My husband is my only regular caregiver and does ok with it, but when someone else has to move me, it is a scary thing! They don't want to and I don't want them to, but if I have to be moved, it is no joyride for either of us. It isn't a huge problem compared to the other stuff ALS deals out, but when it is a problem the manufacturer should recognize and correct, I get indignant!

Your comments make me wonder if the controllers them selves are not designed well. I didn't have any problem with ours ( the regular joystick in the front) doing it backwards without hand/arm support but the rear one I tried out I literally couldn't begin to control direction or speed. I do think it's a important that a caregiver can operate the wheelchair or you loose all mobility!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back