Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
florida
City
keystone heights
Sorry For Another Thread...but Has Anyone Heard Of Atrophy Attacking One Whole Side Of The Body, Like (right Shoulder, Hip/buttocks, Thigh, Calf, Etc) All At Once?

Egad, no, I've never heard of that.

I Swear I See It In My Shoulder, Hip Region, Thighs , And Hand All On My Right Side, But Still No Weakness?

hi

count me in on that, mine is my left side. mY left thigh, forearem, hand, face/eye, foot. but I have a little on my right hand and foot. After I noted the thinning it was about a month after my clean emg. We will see what next year brings! Try to take care.

ps. I saw your photo of thumb atrophy. I flexed my hand and thumb and saw a dent on the thenar muscle, so I was worried (of course). I showed my husband and he did the same movement with this hand, and it had the same dent on it. I think where your dent was is a muscle junction? I felt better after I saw that. AND my whole palm and thumb is waaaay thinned out and you still have muscle, believe me

First, don't let me scare anyone because I am not saying I have ALS , or anything else diagnosed'ed for that matter, but I do have something changing me.

I would suggest that atrophy is possible all over. I have noticed, for more than a few months, loss of bulk in most limb muscles including hands and feet, gluts, and shoulders. As of now no "denting" that is visible with severe atrophy. Did not notice as much weakness until just 3-4 months ago in a few places. Not clinical weakness, but weakness measured by my formally very active lifestyle.

I have been a very active 42-yr old, and over the last 3 months I have had to curtail many activities I enjoy due to quicker muscle fatigue, relatively minor coordination issues, muscle shaking, and cramps for days after strenuous stuff.

What's doing it? Don't know. Concerned and seeking answers? Yep.

p.s. Oh, and I have been told my symptoms are in my head. They ain't, as we say down in Jawja.

Last edited:
^^^ Pretty Much The Same Here...except I Dont Get The Cramping....i Can Give Myself A Cramp Easy...but I Dont Just Cramp Up...my Main Problem Right Now Is This Back Pain I Get...while Sitting Down.

kt

I would agree with how that was put, loss of muscle bulk. That is how mine is.

And with phyisical activity, I could hit a tennis ball but I would tire easy or my legs would feel weak.

I dont cramp but I get a cramp is gonna happen but doesnt thing in my feet. More of deep aching in feet and hands.

Iget the middle back pain as well.

take care

Can I ask those of you who describe experiencing widespread atrophy....is it accompanied by weight loss? If it is atrophy on that grand of a scale, shouldn't there be a corresponding weight loss? Just curious!

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

My situation is hard to pin. YES, I had weight loss. BUT, I was pregant and had baby pounds coming off. AND, then I got the C DIFF and colon infection and could not eat and was on IV at hosp on and off for 4 months! So, we thought it was un even weight loss. Ok. Then I thought that I would gain wieght and see if it came back. Well, I gained it back but all the area's stayed the same on my thigh and my face and feet and hands, etc. I gained back more than what I was pre-baby and things still look odd.

MY inner thigh on the left, has ripple like thing down it, IT never did before as I was athelitic. I also have lucid muscle's now. and my face has lost bulk......oh who knows! ANd my ankles on the outer side, the bone or tendons just pop out and ache all day.

Hi Lydia...I have not lost weight any where else other than the spots that have atrophied. You can see some of my atrophy in my profile.

Have a good night.

I lost about 20 lbs of weight with no other explanation other than atrophy.

AL.

hi all

i really struggle to maintain wieght despite eating better with my weakened jaw/chewing muscles.
a friend saw me on sunday,she had only seen me a few weeks before but noted straight away the wieght loss since before.
my upper body including face is painfully thin,my shoulders are mostly bone now and i am in constant pain with them.
the hip area is the same and has always been one of my weaker areas.
i am tall at 5ft 11 ins and have always been slim but wieghed about 101/2 to 11 stone.
now i am about 9stone,with no body fat i am freezing all the time now the snow has come...............hurry up summer.

I cannot say for sure about my weight loss. I am down about 20lb to 210lb, a little pudgy for my height in the beginning. I know I lost much of that weight due to stress in the first few months I realized things were changing.

I still try to walk or use an elliptical when I get the opportunity, so the weight is staying off. Anything more strenuous and my muscles go nuts for a few days. Again, I don't have clinical weakness, just over the last several months watched some muscle bulk disappear in a lot of places. Examples are "thinner" biceps, slimming quads and the tops of the quads seemingly going away. There are many others but won't go deeper since this is "all in my head" anyway.:lol:

At my clinic visit yesterday, my neuro told me an interesting thing about weight loss. She said that as your breathing decreases, your muscles work harder to maintain oxygen, and thus burn more calories, and this contributes to losing weight.

I'm sure that people with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS), who have much more widespread and intense twitching than PALS usually do, are also burning more calories than normal. When I was taking Mestinon, it produced twitches all over my body, and much stronger ones than I normally experience ... I could really feel them ... and I thought, "This has to count as exercise!"

lovelily,

I was trying to find your pictures of your atrophy in your profile, but nothing is there.
How are you anyway, I haven't spoke with you in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back