Status
Not open for further replies.
Wings

Are you aware that this poster has admitted posting under a variety of different names, lying to us all?

Because if you are aware of that fact then I would have thought that, at the very least, you might have acknowledged that fact; instead you have attacked Wright.

If you were not aware of that fact then please try reading the posts before you comment. Who knows, you might even conclude that someone who has lied repeatedly to this forum is rather less reliable than Wright is..

This person is what 20?
Has mutiple accounts.
Freaks out a couple of times a month on this forum, about the same stuff.
Each time she is told the same thing and it started out nice friendly, people tried to tell her she was fine, not to worry not to stress but it didn't seem to help.
It gets very irratating hitting your head against a brick wall time and time again.

lb,

I was desperately trying to avoid doing this and I certainly don't intend to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but you can't keep going on like you've been diagnosed. It's disrespectful to those that have been, especially when they have take their time to help you. Maybe you don't realize how hard it is for some people to respond. I know it didn't occur to me at first and when it did, I felt horrible. No one can soothe you or make you feel better about what you think is going on. Even if someone flat out tells you that you don't have any form on MND you aren't going to believe it, until you get it verified by a doctor. And if you don't believe it after that then I don't know what to tell you. I have health anxiety too. I have unpleasant things going on in my body that are painful and frightening. It hurts to type right now and I have fasics all over. But does that mean that I something incurable? Nope. It means that I need to go to the doctor and see what's going on. You're going to get sick, you're going to have aches and pains, you're a human. It's natural. Stop being terrified of living. You're breathing right now. Do something that makes you smile and laugh. You'll feel better.

grateful,

I find it said that someone feels they have to make multiple memberships to be listened to and get the answers. And as for lying - her pleas of desperation for what ever disease she has seem very truthful to me - truthful in that she is desperate to have a diagnosis for her troubles - the way posts are replied to her in such a way as laughing about her, abusing her i would suggest she has counselling just for how she is spoken to in here. Surely we should focus on empathy and compassion. The people here whom respond CHOOSE to do so, choose to take up there time, like i am now - whether wisely so or not i am not sure - we only learn from our actions after the event -living forward to learning backward perhaps... Mr Wright chooses to read and take his time responding ... hundreds of posts i dont respond or contribute too as i know mostly it would be like banging my head on a brick wall... also note that if there are hyperchondriacs and obssesive posters... responding to them is only enabling the disease to grow... someone can only waltz with partners -enablers also get a kick out their role as it looks like Mr Wright is to me. I dont care how reliable Mr Wright is - I have read to many nasty posts from him that tell me more about him than his WrightFULLness. Anyway grateful, we all learn from each other - thankful i have read many posts here that have enriched and supported my journey.

It is important to remember that when we reply to these threads, it isn't just for the person who posted the question. There are hundreds of silent watchers during the thread's active life, and thanks to forum searches there can be thousands of viewers later. Anxiety abhors naunce and complexity, so answering questions for an anxious audience of present and future readers is a very difficult task. Is it any wonder Wright is frustrated?

Unlike other forums, we can't afford a "dont' feed the trolls" policy. I responded to a thread about why clinical weakness tests work the way they do, not for the very argumentative person who was the original poster, but for the silent majority for whom his question was something they honestly wondered about or future readers who really wanted to understand. There's also the ever present possibility that the person who posted the original question may actually come to their senses and start looking for answers instead of validation of his current beliefs. We must also take into account the possibility that the apparent troll isn't, and that they might really be a person who needs an answer.

We can fill thousands of threads with the clear, simplified truth, but the few threads that don't get answered in a satisfactory way are the ones that get quoted to us three years later. Someone once even did a "worst of", ignoring everything ever posted that disagreed with his assertion, and hunting up the ten posts over the years that did. Now, I can't fix a guy who wants to do that to himself, but I can try to help the others.

In this difficult battle against health anxiety, tempers will flare, people will have disagreements about how things are best done, etc. Let's all remember we're on the same team. We all want people who really have ALS symptoms to get looked at, for people with healthy anxiety to get better, and for people who should be looked at for a possibly treatable disease pointed in the right direction.

Wings

You talk of the need for empathy and compassion and I entirely agree; where we differ is that I believe that empathy and compassion are a two way street.

In my view the people answering the questions are equally entitled to empathy and compassion from the people asking the questions.

You clearly disagree. That seems to me to be obvious evidence of your own lack of empathy and compassion but there is an upside to all of this; I'm sure Ib will welcome your helpful advice ad infinitum...

Last edited:
Wings

I don't have a clue who you are and frankly, you have no clue who I am and what kind of a person I am, so spare me your judgmental attitude. You also have no clue how many public and private messages this person and I have exchanged and what has been said, so spare me your self-righteous attitude as well.

I tell it like it is and if you don't like it, that doesn't bother me in the least. I always start-out friendly because almost always, the posters on here either public message me or private message me first (in other words, they come to me . . . bet you didn't know that). If that doesn't work, then I try something different. Furthermore, if I am challenged then I will rebut that challenge in a way I see fit. Why? Because that is what I choose to do . . . because . . . well . . . I can. I will not change my approach because in the years I have been on this forum, it has worked. I tell it like it is and once again, if you don't like it, that's a "you" problem.

P.S. Your posts to her do nothing but enable her and feed into her anxiety but you obviously can't see that. She has no disease, no syndrome, no condition . . . she just thinks she does. Bravo for making things worse!

I'm am so sorry about it to be at the middle of this animosity between people. Whilst I appreciate Wings comments I also understand why people like Wright. are quite rightly annoyed at me. I wasn't trying to dispute what you were saying Wright. I was just asking others if they too know this as a medical fact without exception in cases. I was only asking others too because in my mind (which is quite clearly messed up to an extent) I thought there would be an exception in my case because muscle wasting atrophy is in muscles not used alot.

HOn, that doesn't change the basic working of the body. As Wright said, 2 plus 2 still equals 4. What you're forgetting is Wright teaches this stuff. If you're really interested, spend some time in the med library and study A&P. The body works how it works. Everyone's muscles are fed the same way. There are a lot of different things that can affect them, but when they die, they all react the same, before they die, they weaken. It's just how things work anatomically.

The muscles are still fed the same, they die the same and react to the death the same. It's just how the body is made. This obsession is going to drive it insane if you let it. And believe me, it CAN make you physically ill. Let it go.

For some others here---I am sorry, but I refuse to bash someone that was honest enough to admit they were using multiple accounts. Perhaps look at this as an opportunity to teach the next reader, rather than this poster?

Notme

I know that you are an empathic and compassionate person, but I don't think that you have thought this through.

Advising someone suffering from extreme health anxiety to read medical textbooks is probably the worst advice it is possible to give...

HOn, that doesn't change the basic working of the body. As Wright said, 2 plus 2 still equals 4. What you're forgetting is Wright teaches this stuff. If you're really interested, spend some time in the med library and study A&P. The body works how it works. Everyone's muscles are fed the same way. There are a lot of different things that can affect them, but when they die, they all react the same, before they die, they weaken. It's just how things work anatomically.

The muscles are still fed the same, they die the same and react to the death the same. It's just how the body is made. This obsession is going to drive it insane if you let it. And believe me, it CAN make you physically ill. Let it go.

For some others here---I am sorry, but I refuse to bash someone that was honest enough to admit they were using multiple accounts. Perhaps look at this as an opportunity to teach the next reader, rather than this poster?

Thank you for responding notme.

Just so I make sure I'm not getting mixed up and interpreting your comment wrong, you are saying no matter where a muscle is even if is not one you use alot you would still have weakness proceeding muscle wasting atrophy?

Notme

I know that you are an empathic and compassionate person, but I don't think that you have thought this through.

Advising someone suffering from extreme health anxiety to read medical textbooks is probably the worst advice it is possible to give...

Grateful,

This poster is not believing anything she's told. Looking at an A&P textbook, as I taught A&P, is only going to teach her how the nerves and muscles work. It does not go into details on medical conditions.

If you don't like my advice, feel free to send me a PM, but I don't appreciate public comments like this about what I advise.

If you don't agree, by all means, direct your post to the poster and let her know you disagree and feel strongly that she should avoid any and all A&P texts.

Thank you for responding notme.

Just so I make sure I'm not getting mixed up and interpreting your comment wrong, you are saying no matter where a muscle is even if is not one you use alot you would still have weakness proceeding muscle wasting atrophy?

As I replied to grateful, I taught A&p at a college. So, yes, I am telling you that weakness always precedes atrophy....both from personal experience...as my hand was severely weak before it atrophied and died, and from years of both teaching and working in the medical field.

In muscles you don't use often, such as one in a cast for six weeks, the muscle will be smaller when the cast comes off, but it will also be weaker due to that muscle loss, though in the case of the cast, the muscle isn't dead, it's just been weakened and shrunk from disuse. Still, there is weakness. Did you never have a cast as a child and notice how small and weak the limb was when the cast came off. OR a sprained ankle you didn't use for a few weeks and notice it was weak when you began to use it again? It's the same principle, only in ALS, THE weakness is permanant and progressive.

Edit to add I tried to break down a very complex system to something easy to understand, so please no one feel the need to tell me the difference between real weakness and temporary weakness, or temp. Atrophy from perm. Atrophy, as I know it and live it on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Notme

If this were a closed forum then I entirely agree that the proper course of action would be to pm you.

But this is not a closed forum; it is a public forum and there are large numbers of anxious people who are reading this thread who will take one look at your suggestion that someone should visit the med library and do just that with probably disastrous results.

That is why I publicly disagreed with you; the anxious lurkers would not see my dissent if I kept it private. Given that over six hundred people have read this thread, and only a handful have commented, I think it is important to think about the effect of what we are saying on those six hundred + people.

I should add that the standard advice from doctors treating people with health anxiety is that they avoid such places like the plague, just as they should avoid places like this. All it does is ramp up the anxiety levels still further...

My only intent was that she would better understand how the nerves and muscles work. Obviously, I would not send her or anyone else to research normally, but a text on A&P is taught at a basic level that most with a high school reading comp. level should understand.

Sometimes, the only way to get an idea out of your head is to see it in writing in such a manner. The mind is a powerful part of the body, and her mind can convince her body of things that are not there without it being intentional on her part at all.

Again, we must agree to disagree. But I was very specific in what ai suggested she read. We go into detail with our explanations on how nerves and muscles work...some people just don't get it, or don't believe us. She is much more likely to believe what she reads from a reliable medical teaching source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back