Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
My 65 yo, bulbar onset wife is experiencing pain as a result of weakening muscles in her neck and right arm/hand/shoulder. Because her disease is progressing so rapidly, we haven't been able to get a physical therapist involved yet.

Does anyone know of a website that shows exercises that will help with the stiffening and pain that results from wasting muscles? I'm afraid if she doesn't started exercising or having passive range of motion exercises done soon, she'll wind up with a frozen shoulder and even more pain.

For passive ROM, essentially, you want to bend what bends, like finger joints, wrist, elbow, knee, ankle, toes -- while supporting the part bending and everything attached to it, and lift what doesn't bend, like the arm itself, no higher than it naturally wants to go, while also supporting the entire arm or leg. No joints left to dangle.

Whenever the shoulder is moving, you should put some gentle counterpressure against the back of the blade, toward the spine, to avoid subluxation.

Your clinic should be able to order up a PT at a home health agency, who will come to your home, get things started, leave you with a regimen.

Our range of motion exercise video here.

Last edited:
I found it most important to get a good agreement going of what was comfortable and communicate that.
Here is some video I made when caring for my husband that might help.

thanks for posting these videos. they are very helpful (trying to take care of my husband, too)

you are welcome Clody, Chris would be so happy to know they still help people today 🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back