Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Athens
I am new here, in the process of hopefully getting diagnosed. I have my neurologist totally confused as my MRI, EMG and blood work was all normal. I have measured weakness in left leg to the point that I can't lift it at times. Spastic, tightness in that thigh also. And my abdominal muscles are weak, I can't do one sit up. My question is that I have unequal patellar reflexes, brisk on weak side, normal on other. I am going to seek second opinion at Cleveland Clinic.

Hi,

I'm new here too and in the same boat with clear emg, MRI etc. I started with left leg doing strange things. Slow is the best description. Thought I had weak hamstrings from back problem but my back is fine. My knee tended to over extend when walking. i then noticed hyper reflexes in both legs and could get clonus going in both ankles by sitting relaxed, raising heels and them dropping them almost to the floor but not quite. Quite a party trick!

My left arm got slower and did not realise I had hyper reflexes in the arm till neurological exam a month ago. The reflexes in my right arm are completely normal even now.

A month later I am quite stiff in both legs when walking and left arm is not working too well as muscles will spasm at the wrong time. Movement seems to catch.

After all that, you might have gathered that i reckon normal reflexes in one limb are possible with all these upper motor neurone diseases. It probably just depends which nerves are affected first.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your journey.

Mike

I have read that theres a subtype of pls that just effects one side.......anything is possible.

Mike,i can do that party trick(jitter bug) also when spasticity is real bad........legs bounce ten to the dozen.

The EMG is usually the definitive test. I had normal bloodwork, MRI, and nerve conduction studies. At first, only my right leg was affected and my speech was slurred at times. The neurologist I was seeing was sure I had some form of ataxia. I was finally referred to the movement disorder clinic at Oregon Health & Sciences University where I was subjected to an EMG. I was diagnosed with PLS, based on the results of the EMG.

Sometimes I wonder if the diagnosis is correct. Most of the time I am sure it is, because it's the only thing that accounts for the symptoms.

Wishing you good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back