05/2001
Country
US
State
MA
City
Greater Boston Area
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

My husband is using the Astral 150, and we were shown how to set it up for use at his bedside.

This week, we will be going to an appointment to look at augmentative communication options, so we will need to attach it to his wheelchair. I am not sure how to do this. We have an external battery.

I know we need to put the astral in the carry bag and hang it around the head rest. What I'm not sure about is how to set it up for use without going through the humidifier. (I'm guessing that is what needs to be done.)

If this is in another thread, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

If anyone has tips, please share :)

Just remove both hoses that connect to the humidifier and connect the hose that was attached to the mask tubing to the Astral's port (the one that sticks out and is clear plastic, that air blows out of) instead. If the system complains when you turn it back on, perform a Learn Circuit. Let me know if this is unclear.

You would not necessarily need the external battery for a day trip -- Normally you would have an internal battery that you keep charged at home, that it is running off. These are rated to last 8h under normal conditions.

Last edited:
Thank you, Laurie!

I think I'm just nervous since we haven't been mobile with the Astral before.

We will do a dry run before going out, so all should be fine.

Thanks again!!!

When travelling, mine goes Astra->filter->tubing to face mask.

Mine came with a well designed pack that hangs on the hooks on the back of my wheelchair.

The pack can easily fit a battery and charger or 2 batteties.

Steve

Great idea to do a dry run, even just for a short time so you feel confident.

Here are a couple of pictures to clarify how I have my Astral 150 set up. Typically, the Astral 150 and Fisher and Paykel humidifier are mounted on a stand. When travelling, I put Astral 150 in the special Resmed backpack made for the Astral.

Both pictures are of the Astral 150 mounted in the stand. The first picture shows it connected to the humidifier. The second picture shows the humidifier being bypassed and the output of the Astral connected (via a filter and tube) directly to the facemask. The facemask is not shown, but is connected to the end of the long tube (the one with the white ends).

The last two pictures show the backpack (without the Astral placed in it). The backpack's shoulder straps can be removed and the steel rings used to hang the backpack on the hooks on the back of the seat of my Permobil wheelchairs. It is very well designed and constructed.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Steve
20221006_105013.jpg
20221006_105041.jpg
20221006_230437.jpg
20221006_230500.jpg

Thanks everyone who answered! Today is the day..

It was a breeze! Thank you everyone.

I never realized that we would have to purchase the bag for the Astral separately. We just used the bag of our back-up bipap.

Also, hubby's chair didn't have hooks. We'll have to look into getting some of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back