Status
Not open for further replies.
Capt Al. At the rehab facility where I work, we do seating evals and we "invite" the vendor to attend and work with us. We have seen so many patients referred that received a scooter or wheelchair from a salesman that was paid for by Medicare and they are stuck with that chair for 5 years. I am not sure how old your wheelchair is but when you are eligible for another chair, have a third party help advocate for you and a new appropriate chair.

Also my hubby's grandmother has low vision and she has a type of screen that magnifies everything. I am not sure if your questioning your ability to use the EyeMax system or communication devices in general. For regular communication devices, I am wondering if you might need a combination of assistive communication device with an adaptive screen added so that you can read it? I googled and found Flat Screen Computer Magnifiers for 14-17" screens for $44.95. Just a thought.
Dana

I spoke with the SLP to set up my Dad's eval for his speech device. She sounds great. She is going to do a home visit and bring devices with her. I am looking forward to meeting her on 5/15 and seeing what she recommends for Dad. We talked briefly about the ModelTalker program and the trouble I am having with loading my own voice as practice. She did say that there is some great software programs out there but not everyone can use them. She added that the speech devices we will look at can save sound files and he can save directly onto the device. Her grandmother had ALS and she said working with PALS is her passion and noted there is a big difference in available technology in the past 5 years. I will let you guys know what we find out.
Dana

an update...

I finished recording for the Model Talker program. It is uploaded to them, but I have not received my synthetic voice back as of yet. It was tedious, took a very long time. In a post at a later date I will add some tips as to what I found helped to get the recordings to be accepted.

Right now I'm preparing to start on E-triloquist V5.7. My whole mission is to try to get as much of my voice banked right now as I can. Eventually I hope to be able to give my perspective on how the two programs compare with one another.

I did not contact Dynavox or PRC yet. However, I did notice that E-triloquist states on their opening page that their program can be used on (some?) of the Prentke Romich devices, as well as laptops utilizing Windows, etc.

The Model Talker says the synthesized voice one creates can be used on any any communication system that is SAPI 5.0 compatible. ~ I do not know what that means, so if one of you who are more computer software literate know what SAPI 5.0 is, feel free to jump in and share this! :) (Barry?)

************* installment to the update ********************

OK.... I don't have the SAPI from Microsoft actually on my computer, tried to download it, can't find it on my computer after I un-zipped the files, and cannot seem to get E-triloquist to give me the option to record. (presumably because I don't have the SAPI) I can play back their sample voices, but having no luck recording. I don't even find a "record" button to click on.

I called my son for help, and he assured me if I keep just making my custom recordings on the Model Talker program (even though I've completed my upload to them) that he will be able to get them off of my computer, and onto whatever device I end up using. He looked at both websites, felt like they both offered basically the same thing, and that the model talker seemed more advanced. More importantly that it was going to be redundant for me to start all over again. So... I will keep adding to my custom inventory on model talker, I think it will allow me to, my son said it was not necessary to try uploading to them (and seeing as they think I'm finished, it probably would make no difference in what they send to me) to just let Model Talker create my synthetic voice, and the goal now is to keep recording my natural voice, and he'd make it work later (he's a software engineer)

Then I asked what if my computer continues its downward spiral towards death (it continues with memory and other errors) and he said so long as my custom voice recordings through Model Talker were on my harddrive, he could get them off of it, just to not let anyone steal my computer LOL. I think that's a safe bet 8)

Last edited:
Rose,

This sounds like a good time to back your recordings onto a DVD so if your HD crashes, you have a fall back.

John

I did not contact Dynavox or PRC yet. However, I did notice that E-triloquist states on their opening page that their program can be used on (some?) of the Prentke Romich devices, as well as laptops utilizing Windows, etc.

I would assume that the devices e-Triloquist is referring to are those devices that are based on Windows laptops. The ones that can be "unlocked" to provide a regular laptop, that is.

The Model Talker says the synthesized voice one creates can be used on any any communication system that is SAPI 5.0 compatible. ~ I do not know what that means, so if one of you who are more computer software literate know what SAPI 5.0 is, feel free to jump in and share this! :) (Barry?)

SAPI stands for Speech Application Programming Interface. It is the speech synthesis and speech recognition software that Microsoft has provided for the various versions of Windows. As far as I know, SAPI 5.0 is the current version supported on Windows XP. Starting with Vista, Microsoft has created a slightly different programming interface for speech applications.

I agree with John1. Definitely backup the recordings you made for ModelTalker before something happens to your computer.

Hi Rose, There is a record function in E-triloquist and you can also add pre-recorded phrases. The recording and add pre-recorded functions are found under Edit, Add Phrase, change the button to Audio Phrase, and from here you can either record new by pressing the Record New button which brings up a Play/Record Audio Files window or you can add a file that you have already made if it is a Wave-format or MIDI format audio files. I don't know what format the voice files that you recorded for ModelTalker are in but it's possible you may just be able to browse to them and use them. Let me know how it works, I haven't tried to record anything myself because my voice is crap now anyway so I am interested in knowing if it actually works (and a little bit jealous that you can do this).

Still no luck in figuring out if my Palmtop3 can give me anybody but Ryan. as far as I can figure out the Palmtop3 Impact speech software runs on DECtalk (Digital Equipment Corporation Talk) Application Programming Interface which is different and apparently incompatible with SAPI that programs like E-triloquist and NextUp use. And if you can get E-triloquist to speak anything then you have SAPI on your computer. In E-triloquist go to View, Options, Voice and you will see what voices are available and the SAPI version that it runs under. The selection is not great and the voices are not great either but there are some good add-on SAPI voices from Cepstral and AT&T that will work. The Windows Vista OS did drop some voices and if you want to use E-triloquist on a Vista machine I think that you have to buy a voice as the Vista SAPI is different (as trfogey pointed out).

Anyway, I hope this helps and let me know how it goes. :)

Barry

Rose, I missed the part where you said "The Model Talker says the synthesized voice one creates can be used on any any communication system that is SAPI 5.0 compatible". That means that in addition to or instead of what I said earlier about using the record function or using pre-recorded phrases you may be able to add your own voice as a voice selection. I'm not sure exactly how that part works but once you get your synthetic voice from the Model Talker people it should be a simple matter of loading it and selecting Rose rather than Microsoft Mary in the voice option. If it does work I'm going to be really excited and I'll start auditioning people for their voices, maybe I can get a good voice that way!

Still no luck in figuring out if my Palmtop3 can give me anybody but Ryan. as far as I can figure out the Palmtop3 Impact speech software runs on DECtalk (Digital Equipment Corporation Talk) Application Programming Interface which is different and apparently incompatible with SAPI that programs like E-triloquist and NextUp use. And if you can get E-triloquist to speak anything then you have SAPI on your computer. In E-triloquist go to View, Options, Voice and you will see what voices are available and the SAPI version that it runs under. The selection is not great and the voices are not great either but there are some good add-on SAPI voices from Cepstral and AT&T that will work. The Windows Vista OS did drop some voices and if you want to use E-triloquist on a Vista machine I think that you have to buy a voice as the Vista SAPI is different (as trfogey pointed out).

Vista comes with the Microsoft Anna voice, which is a SAPI 5.3 voice (fifth generation voice), if I recall correctly. There is not an equivalent free Microsoft male voice for Vista at this time. However, I have successfully installed the American male voices on my Vista system successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your input. ~ and yes! today I'm going to put the recordings I can access on a cd. I can't access anything but the custom words and phrases I added, all of the standard inventory I uploaded to Model Talker was gone once I'd notified them I was finished recording. That part of the program is what they use to create the synthetic voice. When I receive my voice from them, I will back that file up, probably put it on a flash drive.

Some computer related things I do well with, other concepts I'm clueless about. trfogey, you clarified the wording for me. Barry, yes, I could hear the Etriloquist sample voices, so you're saying that I don't need to download a SAPI program onto my computer (thank god as I tried and it didn't' seem to be there after I unzipped the files) I use a Windows XP operating system.

.... My son is still insisting that if I just continue making the custom recording of my voice, using any program, that he will be able to get them off of this computer and onto the devices later. He pointed out that creating the synthesized voice is a separate issue than saving my recorded voice.

Barry, that isn't a bad idea about taking voice volunteers :) This disease is so horrible when it robs us of something so personal as our speech, and it doesn't just take it from us ourselves, but also from our loved ones. I remember you saying you used to talk on the phone much of the time for a living, and others have made remarks about having been real "talkers". I've never been a chatterbox, but people always liked my voice and I'd get comments on how pleasant it was. Now I think I sound like I am a little old lady, complete with my hair in a bun, and a flask hidden under my granny dress! :rolleyes:

About making the inventory recordings for Model Talker:

My speech became more taxed than my voice. The microphone by being a headset style, stayed at a consistent distance from my mouth, and I could speak very softly (which is the only way it was even possible for me to do this.) By softly I mean softly in a room that was damped down with all kinds of sound absorbing material. As this cut down on ambient noise I was able to use the most quiet of voices. While recording, there are meters on screen that show with each record attempt if the voice is too loud or soft, if the pitch was optimal, and if the pronunciation was clear.

Here are samples of phrases (I specifically remember these because they gave me so much trouble! ) You will see that some words are just nonsense.

Dale the didd.

Zith the zirth

For this

Rather they buy

Glass bus doesn't

Jerr the jape

For an evening

I found it interesting that I reacted with the stereotypical response many people have when they're talking to someone who can't understand them. I would talk louder when my pronunciation was off and a particular entry would be rejected. How funny right? Its like someone talking to a person who doesn't speak their language well, but instead of talking slower to them, we tend to talk louder.

When I would get frustrated, I would make myself take a moment to rest, maybe take a sip of water, but drinking makes my voice weaker, so it was counterproductive. Sometimes if I'd already tried and tried to get the computer to take a particular phrase, even after I'd gone on and later came back to it, what I'd do was take a break to upload what I'd already done. I also would remind myself how many of the members here on the forum had expressed regret that they did not have their own voice to use anymore, and that would spur me on!

More about the recording process:

First, you will be required to record a sample inventory of words and sentences, and upload them to Model Talker. MT staff analyzes them, and if they feel you can speak clearly enough to be successful, they then open the full inventory for you. ~ You just go back into that first file you made and submitted to them, you will have named it whatever you like. After MT notifies you that you can start with the actual recordings, you re-open that original file, give it a while to load, maybe even exit and go back in, and then the full inventory of words/phrases for you to say will then be in it.

Each time a person opens the MTR (model talker recorder) re- calibration will be done before the first recording of that session is begun. It isn't like one has to remember to do this, it will begin that stage as soon as the record button is clicked on the first time of any new session.

I had to say "aaaaahhhhh' for a few seconds (quietly) and then it records a few seconds of silence. Next was saying "pa" a few times for the calibration of consonants, then repeat a few phrases. If anything does not come out clear enough, it will prompt you to retry that segment.

After the calibration is complete, and I'd move on to the actual recordings, a frequent error that would pop up was one having to do with the recording failing to register with MT at all. It was not like I was too soft, or not enunciating clearly enough. The message would be that it was having trouble telling when I was starting or finishing what I was to say. I found that if I waited a full "beat" longer than was my instinct before starting speaking when I clicked on the record button, and also paused that extra length of time after I finished, and then released the record button, it almost always fixed that issue. Eventually I'd get into the rhythm, and it would move along nicely.

On a few occasions when this did not seem to be helping, and the program was rejecting almost every attempt, I would exit the model talker recorder (MTR) and go back in, let it recalibrate, and it fixed it.

Once I receive my synthetic voice from them, I will find a way to make a sample accessible to you guys. Not sure how to do that, but its a goal!

Wow Rose! I can't wait to hear your voice! Your son is right about the synthetic voice and the recorded voice being entirely different things. One is a simple recording of things that you said and the other is making speech (your voice) out of things that you didn't say. I think that it's like the difference between buying a cake and making one from scratch, buying a cake is faster but you might not get the kind you like. Anyway, you are the forum's official test pilot so boldly go where no one (or at least me) has gone before.

I'm thinking big for my "voice volunteers". If I could only win a lottery maybe I could afford to hire somebody good, like the guy with the deep voice who does the movie trailers or somebody distinguished like Obama (but he's probably a little too busy right now). With my bank account I think that the only professional voice I could afford would be Pee Wee Herman!

I really can't imagine you in a granny dress but I can believe the flask. Just make sure that there's something stronger in it than prune juice! ;)

Ta daaa!

I received my synthetic voice today. So, tonight I tried and tried to create just an audio file for you guys to listen to that would be accessible on the web, and finally gave up and just took the camera and made a video of my computer screen while I played the audio. I could have gotten more creative, by panning the room, or capturing the cat as he napped beside me, but I really was trying to keep the camera aimed at the speakers!

The top link is the recording of my voice, and the bottom is the Model Talker voice. Ironically, it sounds more like "me" than you can know.

YouTube- MVI 5792

YouTube- MVI 5728

PS, Barry, LOL, I would expound more in reply, but I'm exhausted.

Rose, thanks for taking the trouble to post your voices. I am very impressed with the synthetic voice. I expected it to sound more, well, synthetic.

John

Rose, I know that I've said this before but, WOW! The synthetic voice does not sound at all like all of the robotic voices, even the good ones (that you have to pay money for) are not as good as yours and besides, like you said, it is your own voice! There is none of the hesitation or jerkiness between the words and the voice is excellent. When you say that this voice is from Model Talker, how does it work? Are you typing into a program to make it speak and if so what program? You've appealed to my inner geek so please let me know.

And your new voice make it even harder to imagine the granny dress! ;)

Barry

John, let us know if you do decide to record for the MT too.

I don't want to discourage anyone, as I think it was totally worth it, but my speech is not bad yet, and it still took many retries to get specific sounds to be clear enough. I am glad I did not wait, and would encourage anyone who even has an inkling that their voice or speech is affected to start sooner rather than just thinking about it.

OK, here is more about the voice synthesizer.... first off, what I used for the example is completely my synthetic voice. Listening to the example I provided for you, I cannot imagine being able to enunciate the word "actually" as well as my synthetic voice did for me!

When MT builds the synthetic voice, it also has some specific parameters the user can change in order to make the voice more to their liking. What made mine sound that natural, is that I disabled the program's pitch control and also the timing control. This allowed it to sound more human, and most specifically, like me, but it also slowed the speech waaaaay down. So, I went into the TTS (text to speach) function and sped up my speech. and somewhere else I also adjusted the "accent" and tweaked some other stuff. The end result was a mostly good voice. MT states that if a person does remove the pitch control, and timing (it can be enabled again) it will make the voice less robotic, but also possibly harder for others to understand. My son and I were discussing this (he downloaded a copy onto his computer and was playing around with it) and the consensus was, that for pure communication, as in with strangers, why not use whatever computer voice is the clearest, whether it be mine, or a commercial version. But, when talking with friends and family, they deserve to be able to hear as close to what was my voice as I can make it.

I wish that the program had the ability to save the custom changes I made to my synthetic voice (such as the speed and the disabling of pitch control) but it seems like each time I open the program, I need to re-set them. Maybe it will save, and I'm not doing something right.

It also has a function where you can make your voice sound cheerier, or angrier, (and some other emotions which I don't remember at the moment). I did not have a whole lot of luck finding this useful, (but then I just got the program yesterday!) There is also a code you can type in to emphasize or de-emphasize words, even to different degrees. I got so-so results with that. Using just regular punctuation really helped with the cadence, so long as I had the timing control disabled. Punctuation was not as effective with the automatic timing feature turned on.

What you heard was text that I'd typed.

The more sentences I strung together, the less smooth it sounded, but, I think when a person is in a conversation, they don't necessarily have to say a lot at a time. If a person wanted to make a longer type statement for some type of occasion, (toasting at a wedding, for example) they could work on getting the words to flow together ahead of time. I don't remember what it was that I changed now, but I did take a couple of words out that seemed to be said too fast by MT, and weren't needed anyway.

The program has the option to have the text field clear out after you click on "speak" or to stay there until you decide to get rid of it.

It does not speak as you type, you have to type in however much you want to say, and then click on the "speak" button. However, there is the function to pause, and then continue on.

Anything that was something I'd added to the inventory which was custom for me, whether it was individual words, or full phrases I'd recorded, play back as my voice, not synthesized. If I alter the phrase slightly, sometimes you can tell the difference, and it sounds less like me, and sometimes it is almost indiscernible.

I might add that some of my "descriptive words" I'd added sound just marvelous LOL. We kept playing them back and laughing at it, which is just so immature.

About my natural voice recording. It is so hard for me to project my voice. I had the audio cranked up, and it still was as if I was yelling at the top of my lungs to record that sample for you guys. This was the beauty of using the MT. If I'd had to speak as loud as I did for you, to do the recordings for my synthetic voice, it could never have happened.

Barry.... what about someone in your family making a model talker voice for you? Does your son sound like you, or do you have a brother? I know some voices in families sound similar. You could lower the pitch (or whatever) to make it more "yours". Just a thought.

About that granny dress... I'm actually in the process of trying to find a couple of cute "maxi" dresses (no granny on the top half LOL) to cover up the ortho shoes and AFO's for some upcoming social occasions. We've gotta keep our sense of fashion! so.... how's your progress in finding the perfect "man bag" for your keyboard ;-)

Here is a longer synthetic voice segment.

YouTube- MVI 5843

I copy and pasted some of the text from my previous post into the model talker. I did add a couple of emphasize and de-emphasize codes after playing it back, to see if making the extra effort changed how it sounded, and it seemed to. It is 55 seconds of speech using MT, and although my inclination would be to speak faster, I would not have been able to say all of this at one time anymore. Not even come close! My synthetic voice does need to be sped up a little still (by my custom settings) and, I think when I figure out the right amount, it will also raise the pitch of my synthetic voice some too, which also would be good. All in all, it still sounds a good bit like me as it is right now though.

I was unable to get my camera to show the computer screen very well, as far as seeing how the MT program looks opened up to speak from.

Sorry about the street noise in the background. Quality of the recording is not good.

P.S. The YouTube recording starts and stops when I play it back, but it may just be my computer, seeing as I'm having problems with it again today. I don't know if it will be a problem for others trying to access it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back