Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Hillsborough
Hello all. I am ashamed to be posting here, because I don't have ALS but rather a really awful case of health anxiety caused, in part, by a doctor who informed me that I may have ALS. It has affected me in a myriad of ways, and I hate to take up anyone's time on this fantastic and supportive forum for those who are afflicted by this disease. However, I find myself continuously seeking reassurance, and I figure many of the members of this forum are experts.

As for the basics, I am a 35 year old male, no familial history of ALS , though my father has Parkinson’s.

I've suffered several psychological traumas recently including my father being comatose and on the verge of death for several weeks. This is where my health anxiety started.

Shortly thereafter, I started experiencing tingling and burning in both of my feet (I know, not ALS symptoms) and soreness/muscle tightness in both ankles. I thought it was a muscle/nerve issue so I went to an orthopedist, which is where things really went downhill. Based upon my symptoms he initially diagnosed me with heredity peripheral neuropathy though no one else in my family had it. He elected to conduct an EMG/Nerve conduction study on both of my calves. The EMG results were perfectly normal (no fibs and everything else read "Nml."), though, of course my health anxiety tells me he didn't perform the test correctly.

Then he said something which really shocked me. He said he was referring me to a neurologist so that they could test for possible MS and ALS since he could find no issue with my peripheral nervous system. My mother, who was at the appointment with me, broke down crying and I did too. Probably understanding he shouldn’t have said that since I didn’t think I had any symptoms of ALS, he then quickly backtracked and said it was probably nothing.

However, since the doctor told me about MS and ALS, I have been an absolute wreck. The very next day, after the ortho mentioned MS and ALS, my muscles started twitching and both calves started cramping, signs that were never before present. I scheduled an appointment at the Neuromuscular and ALS Center of NJ.

While waiting for the appointment, I did not show up for work and have been constantly googling my symptoms and giving myself neurological tests (i.e. the Babinski test, Hoffman sign, pronator drift, and I downloaded an app for finger tapping as I understand that is a common neurological test). A few weekends ago, I also had my mother test me for the Babinski sign, and it’s getting out of control. The anxiety is debilitating, and I can’t stay off the internet, reading studies, performing tests on my self.

I went to the appointment at the ALS clinic, and the neuro performed an in office clinical exam. After the exam, she said nothing was wrong with me and she would not recommend any further testing.

So, that should be the end of it, right? Well, a month later, the muscles in my calves twitch 24/7 and the tightness/stiffness is still there.

I am treating with a psychologist and am on medication prescribed by my psychiatrist. However, in the back of my head, because of the persistent muscle twitching/tightness I still think there may be a possibility, either the EMG results were wrong or my neuro should have ordered another EMG or an MRI,

Again, I'm sorry to take up anyone's time with this nonsense, it's a part of my reassurance seeking, which I am trying to work on.

Thanks.

I am sorry about your dad. As you say, the stress is no doubt exacerbating everything.

you know you don’t have ALS. You know the neurologist is right. It is your anxious mind that is telling you the lies that are perpetuating this.

twitching is meaningless without clinical weakness. Stress exacerbates it. Also it is possible your meds contribute too. Some psych meds cause twitching. I don’t know what you take.

reassurance rarely works we find but you do not have ALS

best of luck

I am sorry about your dad. As you say, the stress is no doubt exacerbating everything.

you know you don’t have ALS. You know the neurologist is right. It is your anxious mind that is telling you the lies that are perpetuating this.

twitching is meaningless without clinical weakness. Stress exacerbates it. Also it is possible your meds contribute too. Some psych meds cause twitching. I don’t know what you take.

reasurrance rarely works we find but you do not have ALS

best of luck

Thank you, much appreciated. I started taking Lexapro, though the twitching commenced before that time. Anyway, you are correct, I'm sorry to have taken up your time.

What Nikki said. Keep working with the psychologist and your mom might benefit from counseling as well, to help you listen to the rational part of your brain.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, I will bring that up to her.

Hello, back again. Thank you to the members who responded to my initial post. I got a copy of the EMG, performed by a physiatrist (not a neurologist). I am not asking if I have ALS but rather to see if some members could take a look at the waveforms as some of them look funky, but perhaps that's because I have absolutely no experience in this area. I figured that this was the best place to go for someone to take a look at them as I've already been to a neurologist.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EMG.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 213
that is utterly normal. So utterly normal. I am not an electrophysiologist but the waveforms look textbook- not that it matters, but they are from your nerve conduction study part of the exam and are nothing to do with ALS anyway.

get help for your anxiety and have a wonderful healthy long life

Understood, thank you Nikki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back