Article about HA-114 Probiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question! I did a search and here is an article:
<commercial link removed>

• Lactobacillus casei is officially known as Lacticaseibacillus casei; it contains well-studied strains within the species and is often used in food production to ferment cheese and yoghurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus (previously Lactobacillus rhamnosus) is a bacterium that originally was considered to be a subspecies of L. casei, but genetic research found it to be a separate species ...

Whoops! I’m confused now lol. But I think that as long as it mentions HA-114 then it’s the same strain as in the study? I hope!

Yep microbiology is an ever evolving and changing field. So go with HA-114 and forget the latin ;)

I have been in touch with Lallemand Europe sales office and also via their website. Nowhere to buy it in the UK, but I have asked for a list of European or Canadian suppliers so we might be able to get some sent. I really want to get their version as it is the one used in most of the scientific papers on neurodegenerative diseases (also beneficial in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's if you search for HA-144 on Pubmed) I've found out that if you want to become a distributor and buy it as a business, the minimum order is 8,400 bottles. Quite an expensive venture though I think it might become big seller once clinically proven!
I've just started on the Lighthouse II trial (Triumeq) so I'm staying optimistic!

Vivienne,
wow! You got a lot further than I did! If you do find a distributor in Canada, that’s where I am located and they don’t ship outside Canada, if it made things somehow easier for me to ship it to you in the UK, I would be willing to do that.

Beyond HA-114, there are other strains which has shown some positive ALS animal model results, i.e. Akkermansia muciniphila (which has been made into a supplement by itself already).

Thank you. Camille at Lallemand just sent me the same list of Canadian products that contain HA-114 that was posted above. I really want the full strength HA-114 only product used in the scientific studies, and she hasn't send me any distributors for this so I'll see what the European sales person comes back with. Shame they make is so difficult for folks to buy their own products! I'll share what I find out here. I found the EU sales contact on their 'Contact' page. Might be worth others trying their own area contacts too. Any distributor who sells it and willing to ship would get a lot of orders once the word is out. I have several PALS friends who are not on this forum that would get it. Pirate's Wife, if I find an easy source this side of the pond I'm happy to get it for you too and send.

Thank you Vivienne,
Yes I have written several times and pretty much getting the same response but I will try the Canadian sales rep and keep you posted as well. It’s so frustrating that this product exists and we can’t even try it. Or at least not easily but I guess that’s the ALS game. Any progress I make I will post here.

So I have tried emailing the university department that conducted the research, asking about trial eligibility and possibly procuring the probiotic, since we are in Canada. No response so far. Neurologist was no help and hadn’t even heard of this study. Tried calling Natural Factors to see if they could sell the HA-114 strain on its own, but they can’t/won’t. Today we did start the natural factors multi probiotic that contains the HA-114 strain as 10% of its total.

Thank all of you so much for all the research you’ve done! I hope this turns out to be something that works and that can help us/our loved ones!!

I started my husband on the OTC mentioned, but definitely anxious/hopeful someone will sell the actual one from the study. We are in the US; so maybe between US, Europe, and Canada, one of us will be able to get it and help the others get it too!

How does one get microbiome testing, KimT?

There are lots of companies that do this. You need a doctor who understands gut microbiome or someone who has studied pro- and pre-biotics to help you balance it.
I've used two different companies and had three tests (latest one recently). The first company did a more thorough study but it was quite costly. The second company did an adequate study, for my purposes, and I adjusted my probiotics and corrected the underpopulation of one bacteria.
Did it help me? I have no idea. I do know my gut felt better and I had less gastritis.

Found this probiotic with the HA-114 strain it’s the best I have found so far. We have been on another multi probiotic with the HA114 strain for about a month and progression is still slow so it’s not hurting at least!

Attachments

• A4810EE0-673E-45AE-AA4B-44D4018704F4.jpeg
    A4810EE0-673E-45AE-AA4B-44D4018704F4.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 72FE9FD9-6BE6-4A0A-A947-AF9C67AD6EC3.jpeg
    72FE9FD9-6BE6-4A0A-A947-AF9C67AD6EC3.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 250
Thank you for all the info. I asked the dietician/nutritionist at the Columbia NYC ALS clinic last week. Her reply was: "You need good food first to get the microbiome happening. Without good food in the gut, no amount of probiotics will help." Great. But true. My pALS is underweight. I'll stay on this thread to hear of updates. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back