Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
US
State
MS
City
Starkville
I’m guessing some of y’all have seen this article. I know it’s extremely early and potentially a waste of time and money, but … at this point ….

Do any of you know if this probiotic is available? One thing I found said not commercially available, but I didn’t know if any of you had any thoughts on different possible routes. Again, may not do anything but …

Thank you, as always.

Kelli

I have not searched extensively, but this product does list the specific probiotic strain cited in the study.

Florahealth (commercial link removed) has a product "super-8-hi-potency-probiotic"

It could be a waste of money. Their website does not provide information about where their probiotics come from. But aside from the cost, it seems fairly low risk. YMMV.

Link to study:

According to the press release from the University of Montreal, they will be running a trial in humans this spring:

"To this end, a Canada-wide clinical study headquartered at the CRCHUM and led by ALS clinic director Dr. Geneviève Matte will be conducted with 100 subjects, starting in the spring of 2023."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think gut microbiome is very important as relates to a number of diseases. I've had mine tested twice since diagnosis and my imbalance was corrected by taking certain strains.

Nobody knows how much value this will be until it's studied but I'm not waiting for certain things to be studies if I think they might help. I started taking Theracurmin when I was first diagnosed. I will keep taking it. Same my other supplements.

This is interesting - I just bought a probiotic for my husband the other day at the grocery store and I checked and it does contain that strain. I took a couple pictures of it - it was in the refrigerated probiotic section at the grocery store.

Attachments

• 024FDEB1-A993-4ADD-986E-1963E6C9568D.jpeg
    024FDEB1-A993-4ADD-986E-1963E6C9568D.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 343
  • BC78AA3F-7676-4B9A-BBB4-E0F803FB1046.jpeg
    BC78AA3F-7676-4B9A-BBB4-E0F803FB1046.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
The one I take also contains it. I still rely on microbiome testing. Who knows?

Just ordered the same. Thank you!! Who knows what the trial will say as to dosage, but I’ll just go with the dosing on the package.

Happy New Year

The company that supplies this are called Lallemand Health Solutions . I have written to them to see how to get the precise one used in this and a number of other studies. They don't seem to have a purchase option on the website. I am based in the UK so I hope I can get hold of some. I will post here if they send me a link.
Turmeric is supposed to work by altering the gut microbiome. I have been taking fresh turmeric and theracurmin since my diagnosis last August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the full paper on the C elegans study. Science looks good.

Attachments

• HA-114 ALS C elegans model .jpg
    HA-114 ALS C elegans model .jpg
    176 KB · Views: 307
Thank you Vivienne! Please let us know if they give you information on how to purchase that specific probiotic (if it’s possible).

FYI that Zenwise product does not specify which strain of Lacticaseibacillus rhamnosus is included - the study was very specific that the HA-114 strain was the one to show an effect. If you are going to try taking a probiotic based on this study, I would recommend looking for the specific strain.

Thank you for clarifying that ha-114 strain is needed.

I have written them as well, I’m located in Canada. It’s unfortunate that we can’t purchase directly through them but I'm considering speaking to our pharmacy to see if they can order it somehow. I will keep everyone posted on this thread if I have any success.

I also emailed the company and here is their reply. I know that I can’t post links, so I won’t add the live links but note that the one I put pictures of in my earlier post is one of the recommended ones. However, they do say that HA-114 is present in these ones in different amounts than the one in the study. Maybe I will reply and ask her if she can tell me what that amount is so we can try and get close to that amount.

Attachments

• 4E298AAC-20A2-4AA6-A3D4-CB5397EC059F.jpeg
    4E298AAC-20A2-4AA6-A3D4-CB5397EC059F.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 292
The supplements which folks have found list the probiotic as "lactobacillus rhamnosus HA-114".
The study article lists the probiotic as "Lacticaseibacillius rhamnosus HA-114".
It sounds like two different strains of bacteria. Is that not the case?
Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back