Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
tobyhanna
Hello all,

I've been viewing this thread for what feels like too long without really being an active member.
I am a 33 yo (this month) male currently serving in the US ARMY stationed * somewhere* in iraq. This whole process of worrying about ALS has been a nightmare for me as Im sure it is for most of us. I have had a really hard time especially dealing with the basics of my job as they really require my fine motor skills to be accurate and especially during STRESSFUL situations, similar I guess to a COP in a shootout. :D

Anyway I am going home on leave soon and have a follow up appt with a local neuro there. I will have 2 weeks there and I dont really expect to learn much. I will come back to iraq for 4 more months and then providing my symtoms dont change will really have to start looking for a diagnosed. It also doesnt make me feel any better that it seems military personel have a much greater chance of getting this disease, but at least the VA now covers it.

Thanks to you all for being there for each other.

11bravo ... God, I wish we could keep you here safe at home so you can deal with your possible illness, and get you good answers. This is too much to load on one person ... war plus this bleeping disease. You are at greater risk as a military guy, which doesn't seem right or fair. "Never have so many owed so much to so few." I will be praying for your safety and a good diagnosis. I am so grateful for your service.

My sentiments exactly. Check in with us anytime. We can offer information and support, if nothing else! Cordially, Cindy

I'd like to echo Beth's sentiments. Good on you for your service!

Is 11Bravo your MOS? I'm a retired navy guy and not familiar with army job codes.

Zaphoon

11Bravo,
My prayers are with you also,
take good care,
brenda

11Bravo,
Thank you for your service and dedication. You will be in our family's thoughts and prayers. We wish you comfort, protection, grace and blessings. Our 18 year old son just enlisted in the Marines on Tues. Jan. 06,2009. He will leave for basic training in August after his graduation.
Blessings,
mimi0727

Good luck 11Bravo on getting a diagnosis. Keep your head down. Stay safe.

AL.

Thanks all for the replies. I think the military / ALS connection has something to do with some of the innculations they give us and possible daily stress after receiving these harsh shots. Its kinda sad that something I love doing (military) and try to do for the greater good can end up possibly causing me this kind of grief / illness.

Zaphoon - yes 11B is my MOS, I didn't realize there where any other jobs besides 11B, :lol:
just kidding, 11B = Infantry,

Thanks again guys

bravo........hi, hope things are a little better your way. Read your post, and I really cannot think of what words to put together, only that I am keeping you in my prayers. May God bless and watch over you. If you don't mind, may I ask how your family are dealing with this? I am talking about your being so far away from home. Are you married, any children? Good luck bravo.

Irma

Irma, thanks for the support. I am married with 4 awesome children. I have left for military reasons for a month or two at a time before but this is the longest I have ever been away from the family and it definitely takes it's toll on everyone, the kids, spouses and servicemembers.
I have a strong wife who is making the best out of a bad situation and counting the days till I come home. I think I am doing the same.

I don't really talk with her about anything ALS / symptom related as she has enough on her table now. She knows I have a doc appt when I'm home on leave and I'll follow his lead on which direction we will be going. Worst case scenario I wont be coming back to Iraq, and best case scenario I will. LOL

Thanks again!

Good luck 11bravo! Thanks for serving our country! And tell your wife and kids thanks too! The whole family serves.

I wish you and your family the best my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back