Not open for further replies.

VitoSpatafore1

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
First off, I wanted to say this appears to be an extraordinarily supportive resource and community. It is genuinely moving—a great example of the Internet at its best.

I have read the "Read Before Posting" and am aware of the counterproductive nature of too much googling. I will stay in my lane.

That said, here's a quick rundown:

I've been experiencing a slight weakness/stiffness in legs and face, and weakness in arms, for approximately the last two weeks. For the most part it has been subtle.

The weakness in my arms intensified last night. As of this evening it is most notable in my right hand. I am able to grip a pencil and write fine, though the act of getting the pencil into position is harder than it was. When doing a basic finger dexterity exercise like alternating touching my thumb with each of my fingers, my right forearm tires faster than my left forearm (after many repetitions of this I can feel mild burning fatigue in my right forearm).

I completely understand this is not currently a "can't write, can't hold a glass" scenario, though it feels it could be on the path to heading this way. My hand, when resting, seems to want to curl in slightly, as if cupping to carry water.

The "full body" nature of my initial symptoms was what stopped me from posting here up until now, as I understand ALS does not tend to manifest itself all over at once. The weakness felt in my right hand today, and the difficulty positioning a pencil, feels like the most direct symptom yet, hence my concern.

I will be seeing my doctor and deferring to her expertise, though want to come in reasonably well-equipped to advocate for myself.

What do you think?

Thanks for taking the time. Again, the supportiveness seen here really has me moved.

As you acknowledge, ALS does not present with diffuse fatigue-to-burning as you have described. I would provide a chronology, illustrate the most problematic movement, and let her test your strength, run labs, whatever she thinks is indicated. It all sounds systemic (e.g. a virus) if anything. But you already know that.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back