00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
SouthernCA
Hi,
40 yo female. I’ve been lurking this site but this is my first post. Two weeks ago, I awoke to neck pain which later subsided. I know pain isn’t usually indicative of ALS. However, a few days later, I began to have difficulty raising my right arm and cannot raise it at all if I have something of weight in my hand (using my weights, putting a bowl in the microwave, closing the sunroof of my car) I haven’t injured myself that I recall. I also began having twitches all over my body all day long when I haven’t had any in the past. I have a doctor appt scheduled with my primary tomorrow. Has anyones als story started out this way? I would appreciate any feedback as I have been stressing myself out lately.

Hi there-

It sounds like you're on the right track by starting with a doctor. And you're right about the pain pointing away. While there may not have been a specific injury event, poor alignment, tension, strange sleeping position, etc can all contribute to a slowly developing nerve impingement. Jumping to ALS before seeing a doctor or a physiotherapist for a proper assessment is putting yourself through a whole bunch of anxiety. I am hoping you will visit with a massage therapist or physio who can provide you a proper assessment and help you with structural/strength imbalance as well.

All the best

Thanks for the reply. I truly covet the response. Yes, Dr Google is no ones friend. Muscle twitching and arm weakness seem to bring premature alarm when I did some research. I’ve never encountered this type of true weakness in my arm and it’s been so stressful the past few days. Hoping my doctor appt allbeit virtual can lead me in obtaining some answers. Thank you

There are several neck/shoulder conditions that can lead to what you describe. ALS, not so much. The PCP may refer you to an orthopedist or PT.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back